Guitars?

gtharm

Hi everyone! I am going to be in BKK in the near future for 2 weeks and last night, while playing guitar, I was wondering how the callouses on my finger tips are going to appreciate going back to the states to be put back under the gun after time away from punishment on the strings. So, I was wondering if anyone is aware of a place that might sell cheap acoustic guitars in BKK. I say acoustic because I'm not really looking to go in on yet another amp. It doesn't have to be nice at all and can sound dead as sin. I don't want to take any of my guitars just because of the hassle factor and I'm definitely not taking any of my nicer guitars because if they were to be damaged or "lost", I would probably cry. wink.gif

Thanks!

Pawn shops have guitars, but i only know the ones on soi 17 in Pattaya. Quality is indeed low, and pricey, expect to pay 70 to 100$ for a lousy acoustic or maybe get a bit lucky. You don't even know the names of the brand sold, so don't expect Martin, fender or Gibson. Not even EKO!!!

May be worth buying one in the home country for that kind of price, the airlines will keep it in a cabin locker, i am sure. What do you play? I just met that young guy who goes to BKK and plays jazz on the invite in BKK. Bring a set of strings too. may improve sound quality by 200% frown.giflaugh.gif

PS: hey, that thread should be in "shopping". I thought i was going to read a post about the tuning of a mo-lam guitar!!!

I mostly play classic and modern rock. I used to play jazz trumpet a long time ago, but haven't touched the brass in years. Although, I use the word "play" loosely, as I am not really that good. Never been in a band or done any public performances. Mostly just play with friends(who have all been in bands and shame me with their talent). But, alas, music is my passion/hobby/whatever.

I'm really not looking for anything nice. Just something to keep my fingers in shape and the callouses built up. I've found out the hard way how easily they can deteriorate. And maybe any late-night company will find it mildly amusing. Who knows? smile.gif

Thanks for the advice and I'll try to locate some pawn shops and definitely bring my own strings. I wonder how many girls I can convince that my capo is actually a nipple clamp... LOL

If you travel down to Pattaya,there are hundreds of bars with thai guys playing live music.....they are more than happy to let you join in,pick up one of their guitars and go for it.I do it all the time myself,it is great fun.The girls love it too

Have fun

The best mo-lam guitar i heard was played on Fender strats (or look alike), though i still think they tune the treble strings differently. Many tune the 2 treble at same pitch, hence the quick repeat "chicken-picking" sound one often hears. I hope you've seen a mo-lam band, it's really infectious.

try 2nd floor of panthip plaza, they have axes there for reasonable prices (eleccys from about 3,000B and accoustics even less). theres another shop in the WTC but its more pricey (some wicked ovations in there)

Archived