Thai Movie: Butterfly in Grey

think_too_mut

Saw the movie last night, has English subtitle.

3 prostitutes live together, serve rich Thais.

The picture of them is a bit rosy - their customers are nice looking gentlemen, mid 30s. One of the girls ends up opening a high class beauty saloon with the money from her customer, a rich writer, who accepts the invitiation to come to the opening ceremony.

I may have missed the point as the translation could have ben lousy, but there was no looking down on the whores, whatsoever.

A new approach or just an artistic exception?

"I may have missed the point as the translation could have ben lousy, but there was no looking down on the whores, whatsoever.

A new approach or just an artistic exception? "

This is exactly the notion that the Thai director would like to convey to the public. Oh, yes, the director is a guy.

Some sectors of Thai society are already cherished the value. Being a good daughter outweighs being immorale becoming a prostitute as long as it brings money to the family. This value is one of the important values that makes prostitution in Thailand acceptable somewhat.

The translation was atrocious. Absolutely horrible.

The director did seem to like to put a positive spin on everything. This movie makes it look like every women in a Thai prison was put there for protecting herself against an abusive man.

The prison bull dyke was good comic relief (unintentional?). All in all, I would have liked to have walked out half-way.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived