Walking in Phuket

solar

I'm quite keen on walking here in the UK and am going to spend 4 days in Phuket. I understand that there are some walks than can be done (other than the ones to the bars). Anyone have any details? Is it necessary to have a decent pair of boots?

TIA

Solar

I to am an avid walker.

In Patong Si I walked on the beach each morning.. north / south it's about 2-3 KM of beach.. in the morning you will be there with the massage girls & jet ski ride vendors setting up.. on the south end of the beach.. very different at 8 AM.

The soft sand away from the water will allow for 'intervals'.. I carried my new balance... a round trip using the soft sand for aerobic intervals would leave me pretty sweaty. .. the soft sand can provide a lactic acid calf burn from hell!

Seems any kind of hiking boot would be inappropriate in the tropical heat.. even moderate exercise leaves me soaked.

There are pretty steep hills but you would be competing with Thai street traffic.

I did take my LTer to the Patong Si hospital & it is not where i want to be treated for auto / pedestrian trauma.

I am aware of no hiking trails on the Patong Si side of the island

If you find some report back!

At Liam Sing beach ( north of Patong Si ) there is a fairly steep .5 KM trail through the tropical jungle to the beach... so there probably are other unimproved trails... Liam Sing might be a place to do 'sets' if you're really hard core.. My LTer was left gasping on the return to the road climb.

There was a 'trekthailand' web site, I just tried my link & the domain name is for sale..

Archived