What days can you do visa run through Nonkai?

steffi

I just did the Nongkhai run.

Quite straightforward.

Open 7 days a week.

Buy a Laos visa at the border for $30.

The Thai officials all seem to know exactly what you are doing and quite friendly about it.

The only thing I noticed was that there was a sign on the office that gives out the Laos visas giving the opening times in the morning and afternoon, which implied that there were times when it was shut, including at lunch time.

You might want to check this out if you were planning to get there in the evening. Also if you were to arrive at lunch time and the office was shut, it can be rather a hot and uncomfortable place to wait.

Can anyone confirm opening times?

ranma

Well today I just did the run. Cost me 1500 baht for the visa and say 259 baht each way for bus trip to Khon Khaen where my wife lives and her family drove me to NongKai. Given all the souveniers I had to buy etc etc. The price is already pretty close to the 2800 baht airline ticket to Singapore that I have to pay whenever I want to fly to Singapore. So the purpose of this exercise was to see how much cheaper than 2800 + 500 thb the whole thing would be.

I think next time I'll be going to Singapore as sometimes it's good to get completely away from Thailand. Today I've simply been thinking about how my wife can stay for six months at a time in the US or similar time periods in the UK so I think of this 30 day lark as simply a way to extract money from my wallet every month and I have a bad taste in my mouth about that.

For me it's simply easier for me to fly to Singapore turn around and come straight back provided I'm willing to accept the risks of flying.

Archived