downmarket manila

adikgede

US dollar is 52 peso so that's 25000 to 50000 peso. It's relatively easy to get room around Burgos St (nightlife area at the top of Makati Ave) for 1000 peso a night up, so that should be within your budget. There are also a lot of condo's that rent out weekly/monthly - think I paid about 12000 peso a month for a one bedroon unit in a fairly old buidling about a year ago - they don't advertise you have to walk in and ask if there is a vacancy, just walk around the Burgos Area.

A couple of months ago there was a new hotel advertising rooms for 999 peso (but per person so not sure what happens if you take a girl back).

If you get in late, Traveller's Inn nearby, actually on Makati Av, is a good starting point at 1200 peso a night (they ask for 15/1600 but will bargain down) and you can wander around the next day trying to find the best deal.

I imagine the whole tourist thing in the PI is still very depressed so you can get some good bargains.

BTW, I would advise disconnecting the phone as soon as you move in as there are numerous scam artists who phone up on spec (they work their way through the rooms in hotels/condos where foreigners are known to stay!), not to mention security guards who try to offload their women on you at three in the morning.

Just to add 800 GI Joes have arrived in Angeles, billeted at the Holiday Inn - best avoided for the next two weeks as they will be a very obvious terrorist target, not to mention ruining all the cute Filipinas. There may be some problems getting hotels in Burgos as well if they decided to hit there for fun and games. They go home at the end of Oct.

Just a follow up. Does anyone know the "actual" email address for the Copacaban Hotel/Apartment across the street from the EDSA Food Court [sic]. I know that you can email lots of travel agents about staying there, but I am interested in the email address of the hotel itsel and not a travel agent. Additionally if anyone who may have stayed there post an assesment here that would be dandy.

AG

Try the Tiara Oriental Hotel it is located at 7248 Malugay St, Makati City

tel: (632) 729 7883

fax: (632) 729 4916

e-mail: sales@tiara.com.ph

I stayed there for a week in September, nice clean hotel but food in restaurant only ok.

They are bg friendly too with entertainment laid on most nights in the bar, some reasonable local bands.

Have a good stay

Taipan ::

Archived