Another bombing in SE Asia

haltest

At least five people were killed and more than 50 wounded when two bombs exploded in a shopping mall in the Philippines today.

Security sources said they suspected a Muslim fundamentalist terror group linked directly to al Qaeda.

Things are getting a bit scary, especially as I am planning on moving to BKK in a few weeks.

I think I'll still make the move but this kind of stuff (admittedly not in Thailand) could have far reaching consequences.

Having lived through various IRA campaigns in London, one in which I was working in security, it is all old hat. If you worry about the WMDs then Thailand looks a darnsight safer than Europe.

The only thing that worries me here is I have little faoth in the Thai police and other security services to deal with the threat in a proper way. In London, during the IRA campaigns, various precautions were taken, and the police priorities changed. Keeping a sharp eye out for terrorist actitivity is not good for those policeman seeking a supplemental income!

Guest lazyphil

<<At least five people were killed and more than 50 wounded when two bombs exploded in a shopping mall in the Philippines today.

Security sources said they suspected a Muslim fundamentalist terror group linked directly to al Qaeda>>

Muslims in the phil have been bombing and maiming for years. I believe they want a seperate Muslim state (from Catholics) in the south of the country.

Seems every terror act since 11/9 is linked to Bin Liner and Al Qaeda, seems quite ridiculas to me.

Al Qaeda activities in Stockport.

Last night at approximately 9:15 pm a dangerous incendary device was detonated outside the Kashmir Valley takeaway.

Luckily nobody was injured but police believe the incident is the work of cowardly terror gangs linked closely to Bin Laden.

Police have retrieved the device (described as a "Roman Candle") and are keen to interview two youths aged approximately 13-14 who were seen fleeing the scene on BMX bycicles with their faces covered.

One resident said "up until now I was against the Americans bombing Iran but now I won't sleep safely until Nasar Hussain has been assasinated."

I think it is important to be a little more precise in the language we use. We probably wouldn't say Christians have been bombing OBGYN clinics for years, Catholics have been molesting children for years, Catholics have been killing Protestants for years...etc. It seems like nit picking, but the most important people in combating militant Islamacists are mainstream, moderate and peacable Muslims.

To echo what phil said, here in Indonesia we have had 150+ bombings since Soeharto fell. Ambon looks alot like Beirut or Bosnia. Politically motivated crimminal violence is not new to many countries in SEA. However all of a sudden anything that happens is linked to Jema'ah Islamiyah or Al Queda. While one should take into account any advise offered by their respective embassies, don't lose sight of the fact that the urban roadways of SEA are absolutely lethal. For God sake look bothways before crossing Suk. from NEP to get to the 7-11 for some more jimmy hats.

AG

Guest lazyphil

<<think it is important to be a little more precise in the language we use. We probably wouldn't say Christians have been bombing OBGYN clinics for years, Catholics.....>>

Yeah, I take your point. I should of said Muslim fanatics. It really goes without saying the VAST majority of the Muslims in the world are decent lawful people (like you pointed out)

Archived