first village trip cont 1....

The jeep was full of laughing and chattering a couple of Tin's sisters(i think they were more like relations of some kind) her son,her daughter and a couple of her friends had jumped,i don't know what they were saying but it put a stupid grin on my face.It seems i was being taken to Phimai's number one tourist attraction,an Angkor wat style construction called Prasat Hin (i think).

The sun was hot but not to humid so it was comfortable to walk ,a couple of the girls put up umbrellas and offered me some shade but this Falang wanted to get some sun to his white skin,we made our way down a long path and Tin's son came over and held my hand,at first i felt a little uncomfortable with this,but i had been told this is quite comon

for this to happen so i just got used him holding on where ever we went.Tin began the tour by pointing out all the obvious signs for me to read and got out my camera and started taking a few snaps and everyone turned into instant statues(why can't they just relax and not stand to attention i don't know) I got a couple of sneaky pics of her daughter and this seemed to break the ice with her,she seemed to become less shy as the day went on.

I was glad a had chosen to get a big jeep,the plan was to fill it up and that what certainly happend,Tin had scaulded me for paying big money but i wanted realible transport and Falang insurance,it didn't come cheap but i would still pay three times as much in the uk.Yes i know i would be paying for food and drinks etc etc but i really don't have any problem with this and i can't see why people moan that they have to pay for everything.

Prasat Hin is quite small so it wasn't long before we were heading back to the jeep to carry on the tour,i grab some bottled water and we all jump in turn over the jeep and then on with the air conditioning and it felt good,Tin wiped some sweat from my brow and the Falang bus headed off.

Tin would do a strange pointy action with her hole hand for left,right and straight on,her daughter started to joke by calling out the opposite direction to the enjoyment of the rest of the passengers and made it me happy she was feeling at ease with me and i knew we would be having a good laugh later in the holiday.

The next stop was "The Lucky Tree" Phimai's other tourist Attraction,there is a small selection of tourist nick nack stalls and a line of eating places with people trying to convince you that you should eat there.Well in what would be in keeping with the holiday everyone was hungry so Tin chose where to sit,the normal things were odered sticky rice chicken,fish,pork in different forms and hot-ness i love Thai food and Tin always makes sure i am ok before seeing to herself(where would you find a falang woman like this i don't know) a couple of large bottles of coke wash this down and it's time to pay the bill,i always leave Tin to pay she says i tip to much and it i think she likes to be seen to be in charge especially in front of her friends and family,the bill comes to 280bht for ten people i can't believe how cheap it is away from the bright lights of Bangkok and Pattaya.

The Lucky Tree was planted be some queen long ago so it is just left to grow and has spread out over a few acres and it's many branches are supported by poles.The main trunk is covered in many colour ribbons and you can have your fortune read or go and talk to buddha at shrine with the burning candles and the putting on of gold leaf.By the tree is a large lake with a load of fish you can buy food for or even by a lucky fish to release in to the lake(probably only to get eaten by the bigger fish patrolling the edge).

I am enjoying the day and Tin seems to like showing me off to everyone and anyone,although the place is touristy i am the only Falang i can see,i say to Tin "everyone look me like i have Two heads" she laughs and replies"no,three head darling".The rest of the crew had headed back to the Falang bus so we made a slow walk back stopping to brows the tourist stalls,we come across her daughter looking at a small shoulder bag and i can see she really like it,i want to just buy it for her but i also don't want her to start thinking i am an easy touch,Tin has a look at the price, 120bht i know this is expensive for her and she puts it back,Her daughter makes no fuss and excepts it with out a whimper or a fuss,on the other hand the Falang can't stand it any longer"what she want the bag for darling" Tin explains she would like it for school,that was good enough for me i told her daughter to pick one and a big smile came across her face and gave a happy wai,yep i know i am a soft touch.

It had been a pleasant first day,taking everything real easy and trying to enjoy the pace of life out here ,everyone else seems to be enjoying the trip and the kids seem to be enjoying being ferried around in the Jeep.

We set off back for home but of course we must stop at the market for provisions,we park up and get out some kids standing in a group gawp at the two headed Falang,it makes me feel a little uneasy to be stared at but it is something i will just have to get used to,i have started giving a sawadee krap to anyone in range and find it is returned with a smile or a look of horror,i have a laugh with myself nobody seen a two headed Falang before?

Boris

Hi Boris,

i went to Phimai about 18 months ago, and liked it. It is small enough a town to be quite pleasant.

I enjoyed your account of the trip with the family. Yes, it is a thin line between being 'nice' to daughter by giving her a bag, and being a soft touch. I never managed to find teh right balance, usually erred on the side of generousness.

Don't you just love being looked after like that with food!

You bring back many good memories for me, keep up the writing.

Archived