How big of a diamond?

sanukdee

I found this quote on the thread discussing dowry...

""Note that sin sord is not just cash. Sin sord includes the parents specifying how big the bride's diamond will be and you are best advised to be careful on this one.""

I am shopping for diamond rings and the range of size and price I could afford is 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 carat. The 1/4 carat is $350 which I could comfortably afford. But is this too small? The 1 carat is $3000 which would be a stretch on my budget. Is 1/4 carat acceptable? Do they (your average Issan women) really know the difference in size and value of diamonds?

sanukdee,

"Do they (your average Issan women) really know the difference in size and value of diamonds?"

Are you kidding, of course they do. If they don't personally, every family member, or friend will quickly educate them, as its shown around.

Actually, I am currently faced with the same delema, as you. I have been looking for a diamond engagement ring, with the diamond mounded in a nice setting, looking at a size of 3/4 carat or larger only, as I think less than that looks smallish, in comparision to others. and will not give face, to the lady. 3/4 and larger, seem's to be running $3500 USD and up, for a top noch stone.

sporty

Hi,

A woman will know the diamond or will learn fast enough.

There is a comercial here in the States that implies that a man should spend about half of his month salary on an engagement ring. Really, who cares?

However, the ring means a life time, (no other jewelry never means as much, honest), buy the best you can afford and that should be it.

Cheers! ::

Thank you Sporty and Jasmine for the advice. "the ring means a lifetime (no other jewlery ever means as much, honest." I believe you and thank you for giving me a women's perspective.

I'll buy the best one I can afford. And btw if I remember that commercial correctly it suggested you should spend TWO months salary for the right diamond ring. But was that for engagment or wedding ring? ::

You might want to ask her. My wife for one wanted a diamond but something "small and cute" We found a nice setting and I think it was a 1/3 carat stone. Then got a wedding ring with 8 other small stones in it.. to make it the perfect Thai 9 .. lucky lucky lucky..

Buy what you are both comfortable. I think from the 350$ price that it is cheaper to buy it in the states. 1/4 carat here would be at least 20,000B. She might like small or she might like large..

I thought it would be nice to make it a surprise. And knowing her if I asked her she would probably say something like; " I don't need. Better you save money"

Actually the 1/4 carat is $328 on a 14kt gold ring. Very nice cut diamond and setting. It looks beautiful but it is small when compared to the larger size diamond. But her ring size is 4.5 so she does have small hands. I'm still considering the 1 carat ring. Here you can check them out youself.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=104107&path=0%3A3891%3A103734%3A104107&dept=3891

the rough rule of thumb i've heard from girls at work in London is

minimum 1-2 months salary for the engagement ring (not sure if that is gross or net earnings)

minimum £6000 - £10,000 for her first wedding (not sure if that includes the honeymoon or not)

(etiquette dictates that u can get away with a £500 registry wedding if she is divorced apparently)

Archived