What are my chances for a teaching career.

tomx2

Ok seriously, if you have all of that experience perhaps you could either be a full or a part time lecturer at a university. Do you have a Master's Degree? Some require it, but perhaps they will be more interested in your qualifications (not always the case as Thais are suckers for degrees and titles).

As far as being black, it can cause problems as people mentioned. However a University may be more open minded, especially if they value your experinces. I know of one black guy who lectured at ABAC for a few years. He did have a doctorate though.

Check out Ajarn.com, or just search for Thai Uni's on the net and try contacting someone in your field at the university and ask if they would be interested in a future guest lecturer. You could even do the first few lectures free and just try and meet people at the Uni's. From there you can get names at other places. The key is to just make friends with at least one professor. The university system here is very incestuous, and by knowing a few people on the inside the jobs will open up. A recomendation from one Thai professor is more valuable than all of the degrees and CV material in the world.

Most of all you seem qualified, and if you couple that with making a few contacts, it shouldn't matter if your from outter space let alone black.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the responses.

In Regards to some questions:

I purposely did not want my subject phased "I am black, can I get a teaching job in Thailand".

As stated in my original text, I am aware of prejudice existing in Thailand. With that said, I have met many thais who can look beyond my skin color to accept me (or at lest respect me). Emphasizing the subject above, I expected the board replies would be split into 2 sectors.

One group defending the Thais on their outlook towards minorities, the other giving historical accounts of seeing mistreatment towards Blacks. I felt my original question would be somewhat lost. But at least my query about being black did not go unnoticed and I did get some honest feedback.

Another question was why not pursue (did I get that right) my career in Investment Banking.

IB being one of the major incomes of commercial banking, is also in a state of recession.

Many of the technology jobs are being outsource to 3rd World consulting firms. Survivors of this bloodbath must have extensive skill-sets to remain employable.

Unfortunately, I have let my technical skill-set slip and trying to keep up with a 24 year old computer science grad who will take considerably less is very difficult in today's market. Also the pressure of this career has really aged me.

Anyways, I will keep the board informed of my future endeavors in Thailand.

Thanks.

TC

I have been in IT Consulting for many years. Did one assignment at JP Morgan at 60 Wall St and one at CSFB in the old Met Life building on about 16th St.

I am a few years older than you, 55. I will be taking early retirement (small pension) next year and will be moving to LOS. I intend to study Thai language for a few months and then take one of the teaching English courses. After that I am not sure. However, I have been reading this board for almost a year and it seems to me that establishing an English teaching "career" should be achievable.

Maybe I'll see you in BKK in 2003

• 1 month later...

Hello Tom,

If you are serious about a TEFL career first thing you will need is a degree. Now Government demands that all teachers including farangs have to be degree qualified. If you want ot get into the better jobs then you will need to get a TEFL teaching certificate. The most internationally recognised ones are CELTA and Trinity TESOL. If you have a degree you will almost certainly get a job; if you have a TEFL certificate as well it is virtually guaranteed. Once you've got those you can start looking for a job. Best times to look are April / May then October, although there are jobs year round. With your banking experience you could definitely get into corprate (?) teaching which will probably pay better. For jobs look on www.ajarn.com or www.eslcafe.com and also the classifieds in the Bangkok Post. you will need a couple of years experience before you will be able to start trying to get inot the best schools. Thailand doesn't pay very well but you could alwayds go to Japan / Middle East if your wanted $$$.

As regards to being black, for some schools this will be a problem, but they tend to be the less respectable schools which you wouldn't want to be working for anyway. The better schools will be less foolish about such things. I'm not black so don't take my word as gospel, but I have known a couple of black guys in BKK who were both taught a decent schools and did OK for themselves.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Bubba

I have done teaching in the current job I do....I absolutely hate teaching and I really believe it takes a certain type of person to be a good teacher.

Something that you may want to consider? Do you have the right mindset and patience to become a good teacher?

SB.

• 3 weeks later...

Bubba,

Are you sure there is a degree requirement? I know someone who walked into Berlitz about 10 days ago without a degree and they have been asked to do the Berlitz training course in January before starting to teach (a week I think, unpaid). Other than that no requirements were laid down as he explained it to me and as far as I know he intends doing it.

Some private language schools will hire any fairly well dressed Farang, degree or not. I've even met Danes and Swedes who were teaching English. (Interesting accent their students would pick up.) It takes at least a BA for the universities and better private language schools. But even without one, you can find a job somewhere. The pay won't be so hot, when you consider the hours they'll want you to put in. But you can make enough to get by -- until you get burnt out with it.

Check with Stickman's site for his evaluation of the language schools. Some are all right. Others avoid like the plague.

Re: race ... To my own knowledge, Thammasat University (one of the top names) had a black Brit teaching in the all English language international "British and American Studies" programme several years ago. I believe they also have a black Frenchman in the French department right now. And years ago, I knew an African-American teacher at the International School Bangkok, making a rather nice salary.

Sure, some Thais will look at your skin and think "He's not really a Farang". But plenty of others will only look at your credentials. Good luck -- and don't give up.

A word of caution.

I have a degrre a TEFL certificate and some experience teaching (not in Asia)

However I do not meet the criteria of what a teacher should look like.

I applied to Berlitz and was refused a place on the training course.

It's not easy

Archived