About Passport Photocopys

Pom_Jao_Choo

I just needed to clarify, was it just the expats who were getting by with just the photocopied passports or tourists as well ?

Will a photocopy suffice even when cashing a trevellers cheque? (not my normal cash source).

And will all types of check in's (hotel , bungallow, guest house) accept a photo copy of the passport ?

Perhaps someone who has tried can answer you better but believe most of us only carry photocopy to abide by the Thai law that everyone should have some form of photo ID. It should serve this purpose for most people; as does a Thai driving license.

I suspect that banks and hotels are not going to be impressed by a photocopy; although have not had many hotels check passport closely in the past believe that this may change in today's world.

Only thing I normally carry is my Thai university faculty member employee ID, which has my photo. But I've never even asked to show that except for identification. Presumably, I don't look like a tourist -- the way I dress, speak Thai. Also, I don't live near the Farang ghettoes either. Banks have accepted my uni ID without question.

I don't see any problems with a passport photocopy and banks. Never heard of any.

I've used the photocopy to cash TCs a few times, but have also hacd it rejected as well. It all depends on where you try. If one won't do it, go to the next. If you have a home country ID (my driver's liscense) to show, it helps as well.

Tell the person cashing that your passport is at an embassy getting a visa and you need the money today to get it back. It has worked before.

I the same as flashermac have a university ID and since it is a goverment university, I have the goverment stamp on it.. Nobody has ever questioned it at all national parks and temples.

I never carry my passport. Even when I go away, if they ask me for it at a hotel I just say I live an Bangkok and they have never bothered me. Now mind you I dont stay at the hilton or anything like that.

Some people carry a color copy of it and laminate it, but other than police stopping you this would not be that much of a help, I think

Archived