work in thailand!

I met a friends friend that is starting a company in thailand and when we talked he got an opening for me down there to come work. i dont know what i feel about working in thailand but think i would like to try it and see how the life is down there. about the salery well i am not sure how much they pay and i know it cant be the same as i get here in sweden. but we talked about salery around 40k+ bath in the beginning. i dont know what a network engineer makes down in thailand or what i should expect down there. any ideas?`am i better of here in sweden?

You're probably better off in Sweden financially.

40k is not a lot to live off but it is doable but you won't be sanuking like when you come on holiday. Search for other threads on living costs in BKK. Bangkok Phil had one entitled something like "Can I live off 40k a month"

What you have to be sure of is if you can't survive in BKK can you get your old job back in Sweden or find a new one easily enough.

But if you're still young and career is not a problem then give it a go 'cos you'll never know until you do.

well if i feel for a big change in my life and am ready to pull up my roots and move? how esy is it to stay in thailand and live and how diffrent will i think it will be there when living for a longer period of time? i guess only one way to find out right?

>but we talked about salery around 40k+ bath in the beginning...

Local staff, with networking skills, reasonable English and native Thai start at 10K, can go up but, unless it is a multinational company, they won't easilly reach 40K.

An absolut whiz kid I met, spoke very good English, knew binary guts of Cisco router's microcode, was calculating IP bit masks with no paper nor pen, was on 16K with a local company. Maybe, he was just too young (25-26) to be paid more.

Plenty of good local networking guys around. Many are certified.

If you are competing on market, you may be deemed too expensive, not any better than the locals and you can't neither speak nor read the language.

If your friend knows you and wants to pay you...then, it's different.

Archived