Simple Tours of Bangkoks sights

Hi, Bangkok can be a real turn off for first time visit and some friends hated the place and got out of the city as soon as they could. Another girl I heard of who was on her way out to australia for a year turned back home half way across the world, Home Sickness caused by BKK dizzyness.

For me having some simple guide to make sense of the place was great at the start.

First day of my last trip I followed "Stickman's Bangkok Tour" from his website at http://www.chopsticks.net/stickman/travel.html#bangkok

It was a really nice little tour to some interesting sights. It was great to be able to walk around with a few scruffy printed A4 pages rather than hauling around a lonely planet guide, didn't even need a map.

The only people I know who have visited Thailand and not enjoyed it are the ones who are told what they should do by friends or have blindly followed a guide book and felt compelled to do all that was expected of them.

My advice is to be honest about what you expect and what you enjoy doing. Don't feel compelled to visit museums and wats in Bangkok if you'd rather just hang out at the beach or do some hiking. For example, some avid shoppers just love going to Chatuchak and others are completely freaked out by the sights, smells and crowds (yet somehow they are coerced into going there anyway).

Some people find the nightlife the first evening and never manage to get up in time to visit any other sights. But some get so turned off by the nightlife they let it sour their entire trip.

The other advice is make sure the friends who go with you have the same agenda!

Farangdang,

Whilst what you said is very true, when you are visiting a new country then there are certain things you must do. Which may involve certain activities you don't enjoy..

I still tell friends that they should do x,y,z as the bare minimum and then head off and do there own thing...

Sanukboot.

Whilst what you said is very true, when you are visiting a new country then there are certain things you must do. Which may involve certain activities you don't enjoy..

I still tell friends that they should do x,y,z as the bare minimum and then head off and do there own thing...

Unless I know the person really well, I would never try to coerce or guilt them into any activity. I can't think of anything in Thailand (or any country, for that matter) that everyone HAS to do.

I don't know anyone who has visited the Grand Palace and not found something to like about it (although the crowds are a little much, at times). But if a friend just wanted to go to a nice resort and hang out at the beach for a few weeks I wouldn't give him any grief over skipping Bangkok entirely.

My point is not to denigrate Thailand, just the opposite. There are so many things to enjoy that everyone should just pick their own top three.

For example, I enjoy learning about the history of a nation, so I went to the National Museum on my first trip (it was actually a little disappointing if you don't read/speak Thai). But my Dad would much prefer to see a rattlesnake/alligator show; I wouldn't dream of trying to talk him out of it (although I would talk him out of sitting in the front row).

In your opinion what are the three must-do activities for Thailand?

FarangDang,

In my opinion:

1> Grand Palace

2> Nightlife

3> Beaches

4> Seafood

Now if my friends hate beaches but love trekking my list would be different. Additionally, I tailor make the list on their interests and not mine.

Sanukboot.

I always tell them if you're in Bkk - not to miss the Grand Palace and Jatujak Market - that's it. Most of them just enjoy the things they are interested in.

One friend is into meditation. So I told her to go to Wat Po. She loved it. Later she went to a wat in southern Thailand to meditate as well. Couldn't remember the name though.

I've found that there are always things to suit everyone's need in Thailand.

BTW, here's the link about Gay Festival in Phuket.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news.php3?clid=10&id=5431&usrsess=1

Hi All, I agree that a "MUST DO" plan can be a let down for some,as each to their own,IMO. However if just advice sought then yes-#1 Grand Palace.#2 Chat uchak weekend market and my own personal favourite #3 a river trip by longtail boat. Thiis is a highlight for me for the ever changing views,sights ad sounds! As for the nightlife,It depends who is asking if I tell them anything or not! If first time in a new country,more fun if you can discover things for youself and not be too reliant on books or websites.--Aussiejohn.

Archived