Watch those Thai bank passbooks

I had some business to do at Bangkok Bank this morning. While I'm waiting a farang asks if he can get a new ATM card as his has gone missing.

"Do you have a passport?"

"No."

"Do you have a driver license?"

"No. I just made a deposit. My passport is back at my hotel. I wanted to check to see if I could get a new ATM card."

Bank worker accepts his passbook, does some work for a minute on the computer, and then asks him to come over to key in a new password for his new ATM card. 100B paid, and off he walks with a new card, password of his choosing, having showed absolutely NO proof of identity.

Very scary, and really makes me wonder what the point of keeping my money in a bank is.

Did he fill in a form ? If so the bank officer should have checked his signature on the passbook. Its written in invisible wax/ink that shows up under a security light. I had to sign my book with Bangkok like that when I opened my account.

I used to work in a bank back home and thats what we used to do but in the last few years extra id was needed. If he didnt check anything then I would be worried.

they have an old system aslo that is very effective where you sign your book. and be sure you havent been drinking to much cause that dam scanner can be a pain in the neck sometimes hehe . when checking your signature if it matches the bankbook. but i agree its a scary thaught that its so easy to do sometihng like that

Archived