Anyone been to Jakarta since the Bali bombing ?

gobbledonk

Guys,

I know I cant believe everything I see on TV, but it doesnt take Einstein to deduce that things must be a little strained in Jakarta at the moment. As an Aussie, I'm tempted to wait until things calm down in the region before I risk a trip to Jakarta. Not sure how well they took the news that Indonesian nationals here had their front doors busted down by our incredibly stealthy security services .... ASIO previously conducted a hotel raid where they broke into the wrong room, so you can imagine how well targeted this effort was :(

Anyway, I'm happy to hear from anyone who has been to Jakarta in the last month or so.

Cheers

I live in Jakarta its fine. People can usually distinguish between states and individuals. There were a lot of anti australia speach making and demos outside the consul after ASIO raided a bunch of Indonesians homes a while back, but it shouldn't be a problem. No one will stop you in the street to check your credentials, except policemen looking for handouts. The fasting month is on until Dec 5 and people and folks are on vacation for a week or two after that.

AG

I'm off to West Java in February for a study tour of sorts. Well, I plan to practise my bahasa in between frequent bouts of sanuk! I will be posting regular trip reports, so watch this space from feb 4th onwards.

Cheers

Jaga

Jaga, my next indo trip should be from 30 Dec to 24 Feb :: with an arriving in Surabaya for New Year's eve's week then few days rest (and sanuk) in Malang, after that on the way to JKT by the coast (Semarang)

See you for few beers in Jakarta !! (when you write you off to West Java, this mean you project to go also to Bandung on February ?)

Artiew, i'm still affected by the Bali's tragedy, feeling concerned about the Aussies (and others) fellows who died and about those who are still wounded, but i deeply keep thinking that the real beauty of indonesia lays in the kindness of its people (beside the beauty of his girls, this is another subject).....if you projected a stay in JKT i think you can go without hesitation.....see you;

Prosal

Archived