Water heaters?

camerashy

Can anyone tell me the cost of one of those water heaters that they use to get hot water for a shower? Also how does that compare in price with a hot water system (ie small tank) like we use in Australia?

My GF in Isaan is complaining of the cold there at the moment, so i am thinking of getting her one of those water heaters, so at least she can have a hot shower. I know I could not survive without one!

Thanks for any advice.

They run from 2,000 to over 6,000 baht with about 4,000 being the mid range that most people have purchased - although this year there is a much larger selection at lower prices than in the past.

There are two versions. One, led by National, has a built in shut off valve in it. This type can only be used for single point shower.

The other uses water pressure to turn on/off and is called multi-point. You need an external valve for this type but could hook it up to a remote shower or tap.

Both types work fine if you have the power to provide them. Lower power units are about 3,000 watt's and will heat normal tank water warm enough for showers at the normal low pressure used here.

The above are electric type.

They used to mostly use gas powered units but they caused many deaths as people started to close up their bathrooms. Have not seen them around but they are probably still available. These can heat the coldest water and can be used at high pressure. In the National gas units that I used to have had to block most of the gas ports to keep it from scalding.

The advantage over tank units is that there is no waste. You heat the water only when you need it and only what you need. Very few tank units are sold here, other than for hotels.

Lopburi3, thank you so much for that excellent reply. From what you are saying, I think I will get her one of the National single point type with the shut off valve. About 3000 baht you think?

I think I experienced one of your gas types in Northern Thailand once. I found it really hard to get the water at a satisfactory temperature - it was either agonisingly hot or stone cold. I found it was a correct combination of pressure and temperature control by way of the dial before you could enjoy your shower.

Again, thanks.

National has a full range of models but they are higher priced than some of the other brands. Believe they may want 3,500 for start but not sure. All places seem to sell units at almost the same price so expect there is some price control in place. But have seen a number of units advertised this month by Tesco/Lotus in the 2-3000 baht range from new makers/brands that are probably just as good.

I did buy one unit a few years ago, under the Hoover brand, that would not buy again. It will not hold temp from time you soap to rinse, probably due to a poor/small heater tank inside. National and Whirlpool units I have are fine in this regard.

You can add a small tank to have hot water longer, if you don't have long pipes holding the heated water.

In the U.S. I must be the only one in my neighborhood to use a 3500 Watt tankless heater in my house, hooked up as multi-point. Replaced my old rusted and leaking 52 gallon water tank which is standard in U.S. Was a pain getting rid of this monster tank. There was a story in the news a while back that a similar boiler tank in a store exploded, launching it like a rocket thru a roof into a parking lot because the safety valve was defective.

I figure I save about $50 a year in energy costs of keeping the 52 gallon tank warm. Some newer tanks are more efficient but expensive to buy. To get enough heat with the tankless model, I needed to install a valve to decrease water flow. Not everyone would be happy doing this though as bathtub and washer very slow to fill up. Fine for shower and sink water though. Could solve the problem by using larger heating element but would have to change circuit breaker box.

The idea with multi-point tankless heaters is to adjust the heater temperature for a comfortable shower using just the hot water handle all the way on. For other fixtures you would decrease the flow by turning back the hot water handle for a higher temperature as needed. Some of the newer tankless heaters use electronic control to hold a set temperature. But you need plenty of power to compensate for very cold water. For most tankless heaters it is often difficult to mix hot and cold water because as the flow of hot water decreases, it may cause the heater to turn off.

You can add a small tank to have hot water longer

Just the cup or two that are in the heater is enough to maintain temp in my Whirlpool and National units but think the Hoover must only have about one tablespoon.

We don't have to raise temp very much here in Bangkok. :D

Do not use hot/cold taps here in most homes so there is no mix problem. Washers use tap water and dishwashers have built in heaters. We need tanks for the input water source to pump from as city pressure is just about enough to get to homes. So what we save in one area we pay in another.

Archived