Grandpa Comes for a Visit--part 6

Central Scrutinizer

Grandpa Comes for a Visit--part 6

A True Isaan Ghost Tale

--by Cent

Part 6

Yep, after about thirty minutes of use the brand new weed whacker shit the bed. Needless to say I was pissed off at this. Those Makro fuckers had screwed me with a cheap piece of crap and stolen my baht from me.

I took the broken whacker to wife and Sis and announced my displeasure at being cheated my hard earned baht, and told them we would be going back to Makro to exchange it for a new one, or get my monies back at least. They seemed to think this wasn't possible. Huh?

Me: Why not?

Sis: "You buy. You break. Not give."

Me: "Oh, you think not eh?!! Well, come and see the Lao Falang at work honey! I will get satisfaction from Makro, dahgling (monkey's ass)!!

Sis (frowning): "Not dahgling! You dahgling!

Wife: "Think not give sammee (husband)."

Me: "Et tu, Cute-us?"

Wife: "Think Makro not give new. Maybe fix."

Me: "I don't want it fixed. I want a new one!

This one is obviously defective. Probably built on a Monday morning at the factory by a hung-over craftsman with no care for quality control. Fuck fixing it. I wanna new one. Let's go back after picking look sow (daughter) up from school later, okay?

Wife and Sis: "Okay, no problem. Up to you."

Me: "Damned straight!"

These poor villagers are so used to getting screwed. Or maybe it's just that friggin' "My pen lie" attitude. Whatever, they seem afraid to complain to this large international Makro store chain if they aren't satisfied with their purchase. Time for a lesson on good customer relations and consumer rights to fair treatment when purchasing shoddy goods. Time to teach them to speak up and not be taken advantage of. They seemed somewhat dubious of getting any satisfaction. We'll see.

I took the damned thing back apart and put it into its original package. No small feat this, as putting it together was a major pain in the ass really. Taking it apart again was a ROYAL pain in the ass. One piece in particular was extremely reluctant to go on earlier, and now, once on, was a bitch to get off. I got it apart without further damaging the unit, after much swearing and sweating, and packed it away.

Later we went to Makro after picking up daughter from school and everyone involved in Makro we talked to was very helpful, all smiles and concerned frowns when it was explained I wanted a new weed whacker. "No problem" I was told. Makro has a seven day from purchase return policy if a customer is dissatisfied with their purchase. Once I was told this I visited wife and Sis with a smug "I told you so" look of superiority and vindicated righteousness. The exchange for a new whacker was quick and painless.

Afterward I browsed the store's electronic section. They have a nice electric typewriter that can be changed from Thai font to English and back. The keys having both language's alphabet characters. 5,000 baht this is. I'm thinking of buying this so the wife and daughter can learn to type. I'm told they can get a weekly tutor to teach them typing. Plus I'd like one for making hard copies of my stories for hard storage while in the LOS. I also saw that they have some decent computers for sale on a monthly installment plan of around 1,200 baht a month for the lower end systems, to around 1,800 baht a month for the better machines. I've Sis looking into this to give me the info in a month or two when I return. I'll probably buy one then. Now if we can just get land line telephone service into the village I'll be all set at the house to be on the internet. We'll see.

As we walked back to the pick-up truck in the Makro parking lot with my new, functioning hopefully, weed whacker I crowed a bit about my success at getting a new whacker.

To which wife replied, a bit irritated, "Think do because you are falang. Think not do for Thai."

"Well", I said, "Then it's good you married a falang instead of a Thai man, huh? I'm not only a hansum falang man who takes care for you, but I can also get exchanges and refunds from the damn Makro store! Your life is complete 'eh darling? Why, you even have a pet monster that doesn't butterfly, haha!"

This said jokingly, but she still blushed and hit me, saying, "You joke too much darling."

I wonder why?

(to be continued)

Cent

----------------------------------------------

"For they can conquer who believe they can."

Ralph Waldo Emerson,

Society and Solitude

----------------------------------------------

Archived