Kao San Road needs to be closed off to all traffic

steffi

[color:"red"] I haven't seen KSR in 4+1/2 years but its always been a freak show. That does not condone pedestrian inconsideration for others needs to use that road space. [/color]

Yeah it has changed greatly in that time. It has changed immensly in just the past year alone! It is an entire street market affair, not really a viable option for transport passing through. There are other routes to bypass it anyways.

As per the "freaks", yes you have your standard SE Asia backpacking crowd and your burnouts, but you also have a upmarket crowd of Thais and expats going for a night out. Many nightspots that are filled on weekends with these types.

My main reason to go to KSR is that the Thai gf likes the atmosphere (bustling) and especially likes the wide variety of cheap food vendors. I've made special trips out at night just for KSR BBQ!

I find you view of the "delinquints" on KSR quite humorous, seeing as you haven't been there in nearly half a decade! ::

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhh, the eternal debate, musings about the behaviour of the sons and daughters of the west on KS rd. Its my opinion, having frequented both KS and sukhumvit that there are excesses of behaviour on both that make my skin crawl, a drunk sex tourist and a hippie on mushies are both boorish at times. Live and let live I say, I enjoy both falang ghettos on their merits.

Cheers

Jaga

If this roadway is so absolutely impassible why is it that vehicles are venturing onto this roadway at all ?

Its a short cut that saves time by bowling over pedestrians ? Just on a scenic cruise ? Nothing better to do than be a nuisance to humanity?

What if you were staying at a Hotel/Guest house in the midle of the block and you had a great deal of bagage or just one heavy pack, lame foot or back or just possibly pissed to your gills and needed to get to the hospital/airport/ favorite katoeys bar?

Why is it that because these people have taken employment in transportation that they have ceased to be lovely Thai people we cherish and are

now delinquent scabs of society.

For those of you who are not employed in the front line positions of the tourism industry, I would like to mention that tourists are the most selfish, anoying people you have ever come across.

People take holidays "for themselves' they are self rewards and periods when reward our selves Other tourists and bar staffs become part of the party so their OK, everyone else who does not serve our needs as we want them become the others. Tourists are often tired, hung over, constipated, suffering from loose bowel movements, unsatisfied, sunburnt and a billion other bitches. Their rarely Sabai or proffessing Mai Pen Rai.

Just next time your on KSR take a second to consider if the driver is not either performing a required task or moving through that area out of necesity. Take a minute to look at his path through that street and consider what it would be like trying to ply that same route everday, where everday another jerk decides to stand defiantly in front of his car or deliberately walks in his path, when all he really wants to do is get off the (&&^#*n road.

KSR is the armpit of BK and yes it must be the top target for a hit , if only for the number of israelis. but having tried to run a business down there, often found that I couldnt get a taxi down there at times even when I had it filled with heavy stock and equipement. I used to have to pile it all at the top of the raod and beg people to help me carry it all down to my bar. There is no easy way to resolve this problem other than to try and tell these stupid bomber that there are no virgins waiting on the other side for them.

However I will say that after visiting London the other week, I was more aware of the risk travelling around the underground than I have ever been in LOS.

Sorry if I came across as excited. I am actually reasonably relaxed although this is a pet peve of mine, being as I am a taxi driver in a tourist resort

where at night an unusual number of drunk young people asume control of the roadways. And when their numbers get large enough they will physically halt taxis to shake them up and down, climb across the roofs and bonets, and great deal of other madness I won't bother to get into. The police are usually busy breaking up fist fights or calling ambulances for kids who took too many drugs before they started drinking.

Turning the downtown into a pedestrian mall has been considered by the comunity and the council at various times but even with the spacious 4 lane roadway and propper alley ways its just not pracitical.

You have sucesfully made me feel guilty for speaking of the patrons to the KSR area in the condescending manner that I did. It did not further my argument and is not completley the cause of the problem.

A partial pedestrian coridor might be functional, something like 6pm-3am. But its not that original an idea that the local business comunity could not have considered it by now.

Tell you what meet me down there on 14th at about 4 pm and the first couple rounds are on me and we can debate it on site and in good spirits ? ::

No need to feel guilty sir. ;)

I understand the annoyances of a drunken crowd getting in the way of just trying to do your job. I think KSR is a bit of different scence, not so much spring break as ???? (shit who knows what to call it :o)

Anyways, I'd be glad to meet yuou down there and debate the issue. I reccomend everyone have a look at least once. Plus there's plenty of good looking Thai women to watch.

Pick any weekend but the 14th and you're on. I'll be in Hua Hin that weekend. ::

• 2 weeks later...

Ok right away I gota say I am not trying to be an anoying)%#&*)$. But....

Yesterday having beers at "Lucky" resteraunt on KSR, I really didnt think that trafic had increased dramatically. It's always been a zoo.

But I had a good belly laugh yesterday when the Police rolled down the street in a large open back truck and started picking up and carting away any tables, chairs or other stands they felt were encroaching too far into the roadway! :devil:

Have .jpeg, can upload and email.

Did they clear the moronic food vendors from the middle of the street? Let them operate on the curbs but not in the middle. They want to be in the middle so they can get passes by from both sides but they should not be allowed to operate like this as it's a major safety hazard.

Archived