Windows 2000

I have two problems with Windows 2000 and could do with some help. Firstly I cant save animated images without freezing them. There must be a browser setting somewhere that I cant find.

The other problem is reading the source code on web pages. I used to happily right click, select source and it would work. For some reason or other this no longer happens. I can right click. I select Source and can click as many times as I like but no result.

Can anyone assist?

Hi!

If you are refering to animated gif images it might be a viewer problem. If you save one you will get a file named "something.gif". If you open this file in a viewer that doesn't handle animated gifs you will only se the first image in the sequence, i.e it will appear frozen.

As for your second problem I think it might depend on which browser you use. I use Windoze2000 at work and I can se the HTML source in Netscape.

regards

ALHOLK

You should be able to get the source from the "View" pulldown menu >Source.

About not getting the gifs, not sure, it may be that your internet security is set too high.

Yep, for the source, it depends what you right-click on. Right-clicking anything offers a context menu with options dependent upon what you've clicked. Sometimes you may right-click on an area of the page that has something special on it and so offers a different set of options. The top View menu always lets you view source though.

For the animated gif, firstly check you're saving it as a gif. If you are, then the animation is in there, it's just that your image viewer doesn't support showing the animation. (Try opening it in your browser by using the File menu to check this theory.) A good, free, all-purpose image viewer is IrfanView. Do a search for it.

(If it doesn't let you save it as a gif, then try unchecking the option 'Don't save encrypted pages to disk' and then clear the cache.)

i think you may be having browser problems , you're not using IE 6 by any chance? :p

Try a program called ACDSee, its great for viewing animated gifs etc.

For browser alternatives i'm stuck on Mozilla, and a few members here will agree ... it rocks.

I looked at Mozilla but became afraid as they all look as if they know what they are doing and I am just the point and click variety. Anyway I appear to have solved the problem with the moving bits in the animated banner I am trying to save by downloading and using Netscape. There are however a number of unanswered questions that have left me more confused than ever and if anyone can help it would be great.

Firstly the problem I had was that the banner I wanted to save would freeze in Photo Editor when I opened the attachment to the mail.

If I tried to right click and save the banner which was also displayed in the body of the mail to which it was attached the only option it would give me to Save As was as a .bmp. This despite the fact it was created as a .gif. It also froze.

When I used Netscape all went well and I thought I saved it as a .gif. However when I came to ftp it to the server the extension was missing and it does not appear to make any difference.

You're confusing everyone that's trying to help you now! You're talking about a mail program now, aren't you?

Two suggestions:

The thing you get with Photo Editor is probably the fault of Photo Editor. I'd guess that it can't display animated gifs properly. As one or two of us suggested, try a more versatile image viewer. E.g. IrfanView - it's free, it's very small, supports nearly every type of image and can convert between them. Here's a link: http://tucows.blueyonder.co.uk/mmedia/preview/194967.html If, when you install it, you allow it to become the default viewer for all types of images, the mail program might use it to allow you to save the image more easily. (And even if it doesn't, IrfanView's worth having.)

Your email client may not be very versatile either but even the most basic tend to have an option to view email in HTML format. If you find and set that option, it may allow you to save images as gifs without fuss.

Sorry about that. I just assume that everyone knows precisely what I am talking about. Will try change the default. I assume that ACDC and Photo Studio are also viewers and I could try them as well.

Archived