Grandpa Comes for a Visit--part 10

Central Scrutinizer

Grandpa Comes For A Visit--A True Village Life Ghost Tale--part 10

Part 10

Another evening flowed by in the village. Wonderful Isaan foods were scarfed, some containing more chillies than others, and beers and other refreshing liquids were drunk to replenish the day's sweat drained mortal husks of native and falang alike. I stuck to my iced teas, knowing full well I had dehydrated myself this afternoon and that alcohol would only further deplete my system and end up giving me a severe headache. I felt good. My skin tingled from the day's sneaky rays of ol' sol, passing right through the cloud cover and irradiating my flesh. I was warm, but not unduly so.

My muscles ached a bit, and my back throbbed a slow drum beat, but it felt good to have gotten done some things I had wanted to do, and the physical labor hadn't crippled me, as I was afraid might happen after going so long fairly much sedentary since the injuries to my back and neck in work. I felt fit enough, and according to my dooctor's orders had been refraining from lifting anything over 20 pounds, well, most times anyway.

After a few hours chattering away with everyone during and after dinner, and an hour or so watching the tv later, the wife and I set off for bed for the evening.

I had a book I had been reading acually as the others watched tv. A book by a black guy who belongs to the Pattayalovers board. He is an English professor from California and writes a good tale. This being an odd one about vampires that took me a while to get into, but once into it I had begun to enjoy the story and had been trying to finish it so I could return it to the guy who had lent it to me on my way back through Pattaya on my return home a few weeks hence.

I lay on the bed reading, waiting for my wife to come back from her shower, intent on some sexual hankie pankie before going off to sleep. Once she returned we played for an hour or so, fell to the mattress satiated and she promptly rolled over and went to sleep. Hmmmm. So much for post coital bonding. Once I finished my requisite after sex smoke I resumed my book until I began to nod off about a half hour or so later.

I turned off the small reading lamp in the headboard, placed my book in the shelf behind me and lit a goodnight smoke in the darkness. I love a cigarette just before sleeping, and lay there inhaling my fix and reflecting on the day while watching the red glow of the ciggie track through the darkness of the bedroom. I finished the smoke, stubbed out the butt in the ashtray beside me and placed it on the floor next to the bed. Sleep slithered about my consciousness and I closed my eyes in welcome of it.

Suddenly, I felt someone sit on the end of the bed by my feet, which brought me fully awake. What the hell? I felt the bed shift under a weight that I would have guessed to be around the weight of a grown person. We had no cats, the dogs stay outside the house, the bedroom door is closed and locked. It couldn't be Sis or daughter ..... could it? Had the wife gotten up and gone to the hong nam as I started to doze? Without my noticing?

I reached beside me slowly and felt her still lying there beside me. It wasn't my wife. The weight of the presence still could be felt by me, as though someone was sitting on the bed by my feet. I had a good mind to kick out at whoever it was, but something stilled me from doing so for some reason. It felt as though someone was sitting there and watching me in the dark. The hairs on my whole body started to rise, and goosebumps tightened my skin to the point of being uncomfortable. What the fuck was this? "Hello?" I said in the dark. "Who's there?" A feeling of terror enveloped me, something I hadn't felt in quite a long time, and my heart, I noticed, was racing. I was holding my breath. I quickly reached behind me and felt for the headboard light switch. As I found it and switched the light on the presence I had felt vanished. I would have sworn once the light was on I would see someone, who I don't know, but someone, sitting on the end of the bed grinning at me over their practical joke.

This had never happened to me before. I'm not a believer in spooks, I'm not close minded as such, but until that night I'd never had what I knew to be a paranormal experience.

I sat up in the bed and looked at the sheet by my feet where I had felt the weight beside me. Nothing there. No imprint of someones ass, no dent in the mattress. Nothing there. I rose slowly and went to the door. It was still locked from the inside. I looked about the floor by the end of the bed, thinking that maybe a pillow or blanket had been sitting on the end by my feet and had shifted of onto the floor, giving an impression to me that something had sat on the bed. There wasn't anything of the sort there or anywhere near the bed that could have done this. I was puzzled and muttering to myself. "Godammit! I know someone, or something, was there!"

What the hell had I just experienced?

I swear that I was certain someone had sat on the bed. I had felt it. I had HEARD it. The sound of the mattress straw, or cushioning, or whatever the hell is inside our mattress. We have it turned to the firm side, and it does make a distinct rustling sound when you plop your butt down on the end of the bed.

I wasn't dreaming, I am sure of it. Whatever had happened had been physical, and I am not crazy, or prone to hallucinations or hysterics. I wasn't drunk, nor even drinking that night, and I hadn't had any pain meds that evening either.

Whatever had happened, had happened, and was real. I would swear to it on my life. But exactly what had happened I had no fucking idea!

I laid back on the bed and pondered the phenomenon until I finally fell asleep. With the reading light still lit I might add. Creepy!

I slept until morning without waking.

(to be continued)

Cent

---------------------------------------

"Superstition is the religion of feeble minds."

Edmund Burke,

Reflections on the Revolution in France

----------------------------------------------

Archived