"tien chai" in Pattaya

pattaya127

DEc 5, on the evening of the King's Bday, as we were heading down the Royal Garden movie theater thru soi Post Office, all the Bgs in the soi were lined up in front of their respective bars, all holding up candles in a show of loyalty to HM.

That's when my GF told me the ceremony is called Tien Chai, If i understood well and basically you are to hold the candle until it burns out, same asyou wish the monarch's life to be a long one.

Then they all yelled "chai yo", once again i translated this as a "hail to the king". Finally they all chanted in unison, thru-out the soi, a song to him.

Just one of the touching and memorable moments that make Thailand such a special place, even when walking a well-trodden and predictable street as soi P.O.

Would be glad to hear from others how they witness anything special or worth telling while the Bday was going on.

• 2 weeks later...

So you were in Pattaya on that day too?

I had a one day stopover in P, while waiting for my cambodian visa to be issued.

Kind of crazy to see all these empty dark bars due to the King`s Birthday.

I too witnessed the short ceremony and it was kind of a touching moment as you say.

Sent you an SMS by the way just to check if you were here too but probably messed it up.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived