BBC Sports Personality of the year

sayjann

on Sunday,the BBC held their annual awards show.

it glories in the British sports achievements over the past year(and we actually had some this year).

the awards are voted for by the public,and this yera some interesting recipitents.

overall winner was Paula Radcliffe(athlete),IMO,fully deserved.

Beckham 2nd(joke) and Tony McCoy(jockey) 3rd.

other winners?.

team of the year-European Ryder Cup Team.

foreign personality-Ronaldo.

coach of the year-Arsene Wenger

young personality-Wayne Rooney(what an absolute joke).

lifetime achievement-George Best(hooray).

Best came up with the quote of the night.

talking about his problems with booze and his recent liver transplant said 'the surgeon was worried,they were running out of blood,i was in for 10 hours and had 40 pints,beating my previous record by 20 minutes'.

fantastic.

but the award of the night?.

the Helen Rollason award which recognises courage and achievement in the face of adversity.

Helen Rollason was a reporter/presenter for BBC sports who died tragically young from cancer,but she worked up until the last minute.

the award went to Jane Tomlinson.

she was diagnosed with cancer 10 years ago,but after treatment was declared free of the disease and decided to raise money for cancer research after her scare.

however it returned 3 years ago and she is now a terminal case.

this year she ran the London Marathon,the London Triathlon and numerous other athletic events.

all in order to raise money to help others.

it was heartbreaking to see a video of her husband and 3 children talking about her,knowing she was going to die.

you could tell they were so proud of her,they loved her and knew how much she loved them.

when she walked onto the stage to recieve her award,the ovation from sportsmen and women from around the world was awesome.

when she made her little acceptance speech,she thanked her husband and children and as the camera focused on them,i shed a little tear.

she is one hell of a brave woman and a fantastic person.

i hope all of us can appreciate what a person like this is worth.

and i also hope she is around this time next year to attend the awards again and present an award.

Yes, agree with you on most counts - I was choked up watching Jane Tomlinson come in at the finish of the Great North Run earlier in the year, her award, and Besty's almost make this sort of show worthwhile. Unfortunately, things like Rooney's award devalue the whole shebang in my eyes. He stands a good chance of being something great in a few years' time but how many minutes has he actually played in the Premier? How many games has he started?? Personality??? Seems like a nice kid and all, but .........

There must be a lot of people very pissed off about that - though none of them play for Sunderland! - and just as many a bit embarrassed, I would have thought.

LG

i posted a few days ago that Rooney was favourite for the award and that it was sad.

i hope that when it comes down to the PFA awards later in the season,the players see more sense.

i know i have a lot of bias,but O'Shea at Utd is the young player this season.

what a talent and future footballer.

i'm glad you feel the same way about Jane Tomlinson.

i saw her in Portsmouth this year and think she is one hell of a woman.

another one is the young girl(sorry her name escapes me at the moment) who the Beckham's have 'adopted'.

she is 5-6 years old and again,a terminal case.

she often appears as a mascot for England and Utd and was there on Sat against Arsenal.

tragic to see her toddling onto the pitch with someone handling her oxygen cylinder.

this is someone who will never know the joys of life and experience what we take as everyday things.

Archived