Thai Language Classes in Sydney :-)

sidsanuk

I really need to improve my spoken Thai. I have tried to learn from books, tapes and a few add hoc classes from a local TG in Sydney. Long story :-) Some may remember the story of the local Thai Restuarant waitress :-)

I am marrying my TG in the next few months. Since living with her here in Sydney, I have not used any Thai and have probably forgotten more than I ever learnt. Her English is really good.

The problem I have is when we go to LOS on hols and stay with her family. I really want to be able to talk with her family more.

The odd time I have been in LOS on business and called into the family home for dinner.......well, I can tell you the dinner conversation gets bloody limited after I have exhausted, the food tastes great, your beloved daughter is very healthy and happy in Sydney!..then we are on to isn't it warm for this time of year. I really feel like a dick head.

What I really need....being a shit self starter....is some formal lessons. The discipline of turning up, being set homework etc etc.

Can I find anything in Sydney? Absolutely zilch :-(

Any ideas most welcome. OK. The obvious answer, my GF can teach me :-) I would rather have professional lessons. I would probably be too self concious and lazy learning from her. If I have to pay for the lessons, I will be far more motivated :-)

Sid

Sidsanuk,

Best thing to do is try the thai embassy for info or the sydney thai society.I think there must be plenty of places in Sydney to learn thai.Get your hands on the local thai news paper(ruam thai).You wil get it in china town.Try the thai video shops.Your girl will know this paper.

cheers.

schools

I have done 3 lot of 10 week courses with Insearch (part of UTS) they just roll on using the same text book and 2 tapes it is very good and clear>

cost is or was @287 per 10 weeks.

i droped out after we got married.. she came along to the last few weeks and the teacher was happy to allow as she helped the class as well so maybe you both go but only enroll yourself.

Book is called basic thai a thick green book from abbeys bookshop opposit QVB.

Also recommend you buy the work book as well $24.95 and main text $70.00.

Jane is the main person i have dealt with at insearch 9514 2151.fax 9514 2109.

you can do 1 on 1 private teacher to your home expensive $2500.

it is good fun

I'm led to believe vthat Sydney University has Thai studies as part of their Asian Studies program. They might have a Thai language course available. Unfortunately the best Thai language course is at ANU in Canberra, where they train diplomatic staff.

Side note.

Does anyone know about any courses in Melbourne, aside from Monash (which I think closed down)

Sid,

agree with other posters.Try a uni in sydney.I did a 12 month course about 10 or 11 years ago at the uni of Qld.Institute of modern languages.It was a 12 month course part time.It was in 3 sections,each for 12 months.Basic,intermediate and advanced.The last 2 included reading and writing thai.It was a classroom situation and you had the option to sit a test at the end of each year.Which gave you credits towards a degree.It was a lot of fun and really gave you the basics of thai,which I think is a must.It makes learning it a lot easier further down the track.

Archived