Take her to England or Australia?

steffi

My finances allow me about $100k AUD in Australia and I'm 32 years old. I've been married since November 2001 and unfortunately I'm an IT employee in a struggling sector. I'd like to get peoples views on where you think it best place to go in light of the world economy. I am British and Australian so I can take my Thai wife to either location and (deal with the embassy's involved) but my gut tells me to not exclude Australia but also tells me more money is on offer in the UK/Europe these days but when I think about quality of life I really do feel uncomfortable about the UK. But right now for my career I have to go where the jobs are where ever that may be. My wife has a job for life in Thailand (15k baht per month and a family here) and she's open to me working in Thailand and making a go of it here. I feel uncomfortable with that idea as I am generally very cynical about the opportunities for foreigners long term in Thailand.

I went to University in Melbourne Australia and love the city for it's public transport etc but the reason I left originally 1992 was because the IT industry was stronger elsewhere. These days I'm not so sure if that matters today.

Have you lived in Europe recently? The cost of things in the UK horrifies me! OK the salaries are higher than in Oz, but the relative cost of living here in Oz is lower and the quality of life much better IMHO. I am an ex POM too :-)

If I was going to 'struggle' I'd rather do it in Oz.

You may have to come to the conclusion, that further employment in your skills area may be hard if not impossible. I sense (from your other posts and PM) that you are a bit reluctant to get out of your comfort zone and seek roles in other industries/functional areas. You may just have to make a change in career direction. It can be done. I changed after 20 years on one sector.

Sid

Yes certainly it can be done there's no question. My concern is I really don't know what else I'd like to do outside of IT just now. I haven't completely given up hope yet finding IT work but it's fading fast and once I understand that it's truely an impossible task I will return to Australia. I will not struggle in the UK if Australia is an option. My goal would be to see what the situation is like during January and then make a decision after that.

Steffi & Sidsanuk,

I have to agree with much of what you say. I cannot begin to tell you how many farangs I know who have lost their jobs here in Thailand during the last 6 months, largely simple replacements with a cheaper Thai. The simple conumdrum we all have to weigh up is that Thailand is a fantastic place to live but a shite place for a career, save for a few lucky people sent here on expat packages. Even they face a problem when the contract is up. many leave but many simply cannot 'leave' and come back and do a variety of things, often simply abandoning their careers for the pussy and the good life.

I am on a good local expat salary which allows me to live pretty well here but I am still falling further and further behind the UK in terms of returning there and buying a house and re-establishing myself. I reckon if I go back it has to be in the next couple of years (I am late thirties). The whole British mentality and measure of success seems to be how big your house is and how much it has gone up in value. It is pretty frightening. Check out Yahoo and see how many of the news headlines every week concern house prices. It's pathetic.Unfortunately family and friends are there so it is impossible to rule out a return yet until I have addressed those issues in my mind.

I am beginning to worry too about where to go or whether to stay here. Forget IT here as a 'career' if you are on the technical side but you may get a 'job'; there is a difference. The money on offer in the UK is very good these days and the economy is very good, but UK is not much fun to live in after Oz or Thailand.

What it comes down to is whether you pursue a 'career' at all costs and how your wife may handle UK or even you!

No easy answers to these questions.Where are you now?

"And would you believe it-one of today's UK Yahoo headlines is exactly what I said it would be: which area has gone up in value the most in the quickest time and by how much blah blah blah...... "

It's all bull shit anyway mate. You can't take it with you. As I get older (45) I realise more and more than you only get one shot at life, life is not a rehearsal..and all those other quotes. :-)

I'm starting to slow down already :-) Sure I could work my arse off and be a multi millionaire, but I'd never have time for fun and propbably die of a heart attack at 50.

Quality of life.......that's what it is about.

Sid

It really is a shit lifestyle in UK. There is no fun in life and the people become less pleasant every day as life becomes more of a challenge. Unfortunately it is my home and my family are there so I cannot sever ties completely.

Here's whart I miss:

family and friends

the media, papers TV radio etc but the Internet is reducing this problem

doner kebabs :p

my footy team

Not much is it ::

You mean you cant get a Doner Kebab in Bangkok ? Wow, dont let the Kebab barons in Oz hear about this amazing state of Affairs - you'll be surrounded by 'Abra Kebab' franchises before you can say 'I'd like Hummus with that !'

The humble Kebab seems to have travelled well - I often see Asian tourists here in Brissie chomping on one, and one of the local Kebab shops looks like the UN - Chinese, Arab and Anglo staff : take that, Ronald McDonald !

Archived