Qantas Award Flight Trade

sidsanuk

Not sure if this could work, but worth a try.

My fiance is booked Bangkok-Sydney on a Qantas 'award' business class seat. (free flight for those who don't use Qantas). First week in February.

I am trying to change her flight to get her back to Oz early, as she is 'homesick' :-) Second or third week in January.

Have been calling Qantas every day for two weeks without luck. All flights are full.

It just struck me that other people might also be wanting to change their flights, but until one person moves...no one can !

So, if there is anyone out there who wants to trade their return seat in early Jan (must be biz class, as Qantas won't allow change of class) for a return first week of Feb.....let me know. Means you can get another couple of weeks Sanuking :-)

Maybe I could then call Qantas and get them to do a one for one swop on the spot, between our two bookings. We'll worry about the mechanics of it later :-) AS it will require both of us to call.

Alternatively, any Qantas employees out there who can help me? Please :-))) PM me. We need to get her back early due to Visa issues. ie give us a bit of leeway to get her spouse visa arranged before her current visa expires.

Heres hoping.

Sid

Hi Sid,

As a travel agent in Oz, I sadly inform you that what you suggest is not possible. If the flights are full, and your booking is cancelled, the seat will not likely be available again, as they would prob. move it to a revenue seat.

In any case, swapping bookings is never allowed. Your best best, although luck is involved, is to go to the airport on the day you need to fly and go upstairs to see to Qantas airport supervisor/manager and beg them to let you on.

You would be surprised at what is possible if someone is willing to help you.

Sid, I dont too much about Qantas programme but you might want to at least ask, if you can use the flight via another point, e.g flying via a domestic point on Qantas, and getting upto Singapore and then using the Finnair/Qantas codeshare flight from SIN - BKK. Have no idea what layover times are involved but Qantas now have more seats through Singapore than they do via Bangkok. we have people in our Sydney office regularly flying to to brisbane to get into SIN when flights are busy buts its a BA service not QF that I am aware off on that route. Given QF is a one world member, I think that you can use multiple carriers on award tickets for the same mileage as long as they are all part of one world.

Cheers

RichardKopf,

Sound advice. Thanks.

What do you think her chances are of just turning up and going on standby?

Not sure where an Award Biz Class ticket would sit in the pecking order. Not sure if she could get an economy seat with that ticket anyway. They seem to be strict on staying within the class booked.

But I think we will try stand by for a couple of days anyway. If that fails, we'll just buy a single economy ticket on Thai (cheapest)

Sid

Sid,

Steve's is a good idea and would cost 5000 pts to change plus any additional taxes.

My logic (not the airline's, although I am quite assertive with them at times) is that if there is a seat avail on the day you show up at the airport that would otherwise go empty, it will free up the seat you have reserved for possible sale. It is a win/win for the airline although the hierarchical bureaucracy may not see it that way.

If the reservations staff are unhelpful, the supervisor may be better...if you are nice!

Archived