need travel advice in europe

we going to europe in two weeks, stay about 3 or 4 weeks. i guess if we make that trip it will be a few days in early january.

not paris now. i kind of want to see the northern seas in winter. even though the nasty climate i always enjoyed walking along the hamburg harbour when i was there during that season. so far i have been with the missus only in italy (and germany), but she has never seen yet the north which has a very different feel.

the town of bruges sounds really nice, does it have some nice places to walk at the sea (like you said - just 5 or 6 km's away), and when it gets to cold, have a nice coffee some place?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember spending some very delightful times in Belgium near the coast. Brugge perhaps, but it was long ago. The small towns were great, still had the weekly markets that came to town. And a vist to an old castle (Castle of the Counts?) that still seems fresh in my mind.

Would reccommend to Fly that he rent a car for a week and just travel about. Small Inns abound provide a wonderplace to stay and meet locals. No need to make huge plans IMO, just go, relax and enjoy. :: :bow:

Guest lazyphil

Shame you cant get a UK visa for Milton Keynes, Staines (of Ali G fame :grinyes:) and Chelmsford (for examples) are truly wondrous during the festive season :: :banghead:

Fly,

Seems we will miss each other then.......

Anyway, up to you to decide where to go...... as far as coffee is concerned, there is only 68 km of coast in Belgium, 80 % of that is fully occupied by coastal infrastructures, villages, etc....... in the small town along the coast, you can have your coffee every 20 meters :)

Best is to rent or bowwow a car from the family and drive all the way, all small distances here anyway....

Cheers !

Hi Fly,

forgot about Gent, great city as well.

The car advise is very sound, everything is reachable withing an hour or hour and a half at most. Coming from north Germany, you could even pass through Holland.

Besides the coast I can highly recommend the Ardennes in belgium, very romantic and beautifull, especially that time of year with snow.

Gotta second Prosal's suggestion. Paris has to been seen at least once during one's life. An unbelievably beautiful city.

If you want to take long walks, this is the city to do it. The Seine river is not the sea, but walking along it is the next best thing. If western art interests you; the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay put to shame just about any other art museums. I could go on and on.....

The winter months are the best time to get a cheaper rate on hotels rooms. An additional plus is that the weather is not terribly harsh in the winter. Downside is that it is a relatively expensive city.

Whatever destination you choose, I hope you enjoy.

Searcher

for the best of scandinavia & a fair chance of snow goto Copenhagen. very cozy small town feel capital city of some 1mill souls. it's by the sea/canals & plenty of cafe's to seek refuge during those strolls...

just across the tunnel/bridge by train you reach Malmo(100.000pop.) in Sweden in some 40minutes for a completely different vibe & thus worth that visit. most things bit cheaper over there as well as Alholk pointed out!

now for higher chance of snow & still a great city try Stockholm, but if to see snow & experience the cold is the highest priority gotta head to Helsinki, Finland!

of course if beer has just the slighest interest I'm afraid you'll need to make it to belgium & so will I one day...

enjoy!

lazyphil said:

Shame you cant get a UK visa for Milton Keynes, Staines (of Ali G fame :grinyes:) and Chelmsford (for examples) are truly wondrous during the festive season :: :banghead:

AYE! WEST SIDE POSSE! :up:

Archived