High season? Seems pertty quiet to me...

will soon realize women have not been deported anywhere, it's still the same percentage to men....

I understand what you are saying here, but looking around Pattaya, I am no longer sure that this is really true, or that it will be true in a few years from now.

Who is here now in droves? Russian and Eastern European tourists. They come with their families. They sit on the beach and occasionally go see a sight like the million year stone park. They do not come for sanuk.

It used to be that at the very southern end of walking street near the new dock, there were a few russian restaurants and a few more that catered to them. But by now, the Lobster Pot -- very near the walking st entrance off of beach rd -- the menu included russian as well as english captions.

It suddenly occurred to me who this "new tourist" we've been hearing so much about is. I don't think Pattaya as we know it will be around much longer. Bangkok is already not as we knew it even 2 years ago.

I for one don't find thailand particularly fun any more, it's the same old boring crap only now even less of the little bit of spice that kept it interesting. The thinness of the high heason this year just sorta confirms this for me.

Even a happily married guy wants to be able to sit for a beer in peace in a fun atmosphere once in a while. Thailand doesn't seem to want this, hence this year's high season of a different character.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do agree with you and i have actually argued so many times here, that Pattaya sees a lot of tourists coming in family, to hear (read actually) it was a joke. Well, it's not!

For the guy who stays a month or more, Thailand still can appeal very much, and has many possibilities of flirts and more as concerns one's sex life, but for the guy who comes to sanook, what I read here about the nightlife seems like a real damper.

The planes are all full coming from the USA. You'll have a hard time getting a ticket now until February. On the other hand, could the airlines have fewer flights?

At our restaurant, last week in fact was a record with average of 50,000 Baht per day. It simply could be, more and more locals are finding out where we are located?

It could also be, there are more tourists but they are families. We get quite a number of families especially on weekends.

My personal feeling is the tourist is changing in Thailand. Its more couples and families

http://www.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_download.php?Rpt=cre tells you where the tourists are from.

This url http://www.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_index.php

tells you tourism is down in 2003 but still more than 2000. Tourists are spending 3,750 Baht per day versus 3,861 in 2000 however.

Notice they are forecasting a 23% increase in tourism in 2004. We'll see but I feel they are on target. Thailand will always have Nanaplaza tourists even if the closing hours go to 10:00 p.m. Granted less Nanaplaza tourists but no country can compete with the infrastructure, prices and the girls. The tourists they lose on that side, TAT and the PM are betting would help their tourism with more families.

By the way, you want to see changes? Check back in 3 years, lower Sukhumvit will be upscale with three more five star hotels and top of the line shopping mall.

Long live the Sanuk in Thailand. Change is good but a 10:00 p.m. helps no one.

It would be great if someone had some infos on the TAT strategy, from the inside. We all read articles and gather infos, like asian tourism and family tourism targeted more and more, and most likely their policies would confirm all these trends.

Thailand is not going to rid itself of any type of prodtitution soon, but as someone said, taking the sanook out of it will eventually have effect on that side of tourism, unless a new type of sex tourists, agreeing to be told what to do and when, tales over. :dunno:

"On the other hand, could the airlines have fewer flights?"

Yes, about 30% less seats flying across the Pacific. Therefore, about 30% less tourists.

"Tourists are spending 3,750 Baht per day versus 3,861 in 2000 however"

That is telling. PM wants high end tourists, but he is getting more cheap charlies. Prices in LoS are significantly higher than in 2000 (not talking P4P either), I'd bet 15% or more. So that means that tourists are acturally spending about B600 (or 16%) less that the higher quality 2000 tourist.

"TAT and the PM are betting would help their tourism with more families."

TAT should do their research. Las Vegas (another adult travel destination) tried the same thing. They lost their a$$. It is now back to sex & sin in Las Vegas cuz that is what brings in the dosh. Wishing for more money and even target marketing is not going to make it so if TAT does not offer something that the hi-so jet-set wants.

Cheers,

SD

"Thailand is not going to rid itself of any type of prodtitution soon, but as someone said, taking the sanook out of it will eventually have effect on that side of tourism, unless a new type of sex tourists, agreeing to be told what to do and when, tales over."

Having lived in Asia for 16 years in six different countries, what is funny to me is that Thailand does not really offer anything that is not available in any other Asian country. Thailand is just more "in-your-face" and arguably less costly but not for long. In fact, it is cheaper to get laid by a pretty young thing in Hong Kong (can do so for HK$350 or B1750 all in) or even "free" by expat-chasing local lasses in the more modern countries.

IMHO, the Thai P4P industry is a victim of successful marketing, not necessarily the only or best product.

Cheers,

SD

Peter1964 said:

especially with the strong Euro.

Are European 'sex tourists' more and more are going to places like czech, romaina etc? Certainly much cheaper and easier to travel to, and from everything I hear p4p is 'blossoming' on those former eastern block countries.

I wonder though if even the premise that the nightlife scene is going down hill is true. At least in some respects (closing hours, etc) yeah, sure. But at least in Pattaya, over the last 3 years I have seen many, many new bars open up, many new hotels being built. And another poster said he had a hard time getting a room! That said however I have heard several other reports that the bars are fairly quiet in Pattaya this year (maybe thats because there are more of them?) My perspective however is only over 6 years since I first came to Pattaya... and can't speak to BKK.

Showtime said:

Tourists are spending 3,750 Baht per day versus 3,861 in 2000 however.

Assuming it is true that more and more families are coming and less sanookers, this figure would proove that these warmly welcomed 'quality tourists' are spending less then the unwanted sex tourists. :doah:

Considering the current government's VISA policy (just focused on money), the authorities might rethink there strategy and soon promote sex tourism as the per head spending is higher. :neener:

Archived