High season? Seems pertty quiet to me...

<< but it should be based on retaining its original character as a Buddhist Kingdom. >>

You're kidding, right?

I came here almost 31 years ago to a pleasant little city with wide tree-lined streets, clean air, klongs you could swim in, no real high-rise buildings, a discrete but lively nightlife etc etc. Do you think the sex tourists changed that? Try Thai GREED. Ever heard the saying NGERN KHUE PRA-JAO? (Money is God.) I like to tell Thais who go on about "progress" that I came here when Thailand was still a Buddhist country. Urban Thais go through the motions of Buddhism, but that's about it. I'm shocked at what they are doing to Chiang Mai now, but Mr T has plans to eff it up even more.

The "original character" of Thailand only exists in a few places upcountry now. Forget it in the cities. Even 30 years ago Thais would tell me, "You are so lucky to live outside of Bangkok." And we actually complained about the Big Durian back then. If we had only known what was coming ... Welcome to the Kali Yuga.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flashermac

I agree with your observations about Thailand. Thing that's a bit sad (IMHO) is that the same phenomena is happening all over the world. GREED IS GOOD (IS GOD)

It seems to me that in the USA you have to go to very remote and rural parts of the country to see anything that resembles the "character of the past".

For better or worse I believe technology and consumerism has a "sterilizing" effect on culture.

There is practically no place on earth you can go where there aren't the symbols of "western" consumerism. The shopping malls in nearly every country on earth have many of the same stores from one to the next... and that's just one very visible example...

I don't know if it's good or bad... but I'm tired of it.

What Thailand needs are not fat middle aged male tourists, but youngsters and family groups that are interested in enjoying the wonderful cultural sites and beaches that the Kingdom offers...

Thailand has a wonderful future, but it should be based on retaining its original character as a Buddhist Kingdom.

I agree with Flashermac on this one.

There is tendancy everywhere to have a romanticized image of the past, but it is particularly pronounced these days in Thailand. Thai TV is filled with silly mini-series based on fictionlized histories of Thailand. In the U.S. you will see this as well, but you will also see serious debate about what really happened when way back when (e.g., Thomas Jefferson slept with his slaves, George Washington wasn't a saint, etc.), but I never see it here. (I suspect Europe is even more cynical about its history.) America has its "Little House on the Praire" culture, and a few dolts may actually believe it, but most educated Americans recognize that this is the stuff of fairytales. Yet the supposedly educated staff in my office honestly beleive that the Thai fairytales they see on TV everynight are fact.

The fact is that commercial sex was a part of Thai culture long before fat middle aged male tourists or even fit American GIs made Pattaya a popular tourist location. Even Somerset Maugham includes a comment about being offered a bath massage by an attractive woman in his book "The Gentlemen in the Parlour" (which is somewhat ironic since Somerset was as queer as a three dollar bill.) Earlier contemperanous accounts of Thai culture by outsiders are also remarkable by their repeated references to the easy availability of commercial sex and "rental wives" in Thailand.

The Thailand of today does reflect its original character. What it does not reflect is the romanticized tripe served up daily on Thai TV.

Even much before Maugham's time. Per The Honourable Company, a book about The English East India Company, "In 1661, the ubiquitous Captain Hamilton maintained the attraction of Ayuthai (sic), the Siamese capital, had little to do with Siamese trade and a lot to do with Siamese hospitality. 'The Europeans who trade to Siam accomodate themselves with temporary wives who', the Captain posts with presumably inside knowledge, 'generally prove the most obedient, loving and chaste.' They were also wonderfully understanding and raised no objection over their red-faced husbands 'continually carousing in drunkenness with wine and women'."

Does not seem any different 343 years later...

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

'The Europeans who trade to Siam accomodate themselves with temporary wives who', the Captain posts with presumably inside knowledge, 'generally prove the most obedient, loving and chaste.'

SD

Bloody sex tourists :cussing:

to do with Siamese trade and a lot to do with Siamese hospitality. 'The Europeans who trade to Siam accomodate themselves with temporary wives who', the Captain posts with presumably inside knowledge, 'generally prove the most obedient, loving and chaste.' They were also wonderfully understanding and raised no objection over their red-faced husbands 'continually carousing in drunkenness with wine and women'."
"original character as a Buddhist Kingdom"

Archived