Own a Bar...What time do you have to close?

khwaimaisabai said:
LaoHuLi said:

I'm sure there will be some creative solutions tried in Bkk and elsewhere.

Hi lhl,

Years ago I used to visit Dublin a lot. There was a whole street there (can't remeber it's name) with late night bars. They opened late because they were all restaurants according to their licence. When they had a police raid, baskets of chicken and chips (cold, and old) would appear on every table while the staff searched for the key to unlock the door and let the police in.

Interesting times ahead.

Khwai

We used to have a draconian law that said if you wanted to order booze on a Sunday you had to eat.

So we had a ham and cheese sandwich that was passed aroubnd to every customer for a dollar. Sometimes we could get 4 or five hours out od one sandwich until some SOB eat iy :banghead: Then it had to be a 3 course meal. one of which was hot. So for your $3 cover there was a buffet with colesalw (salad course) Sausage rolls ( main entree) and jello (dessert). Needless to say that the food cost was pretty low. ::

So maybe beer for 49 baht if you buy a 300baht dinner special ? In some ways open 24/7 could be better than now. and there will creative solutions to 'avoid' the accusation of hostesses. Hmmmm, 500 baht cover, and no barfine?? What you think guys, lets give the operators some suggestion for acceptable options.

Doesn't look like much is going to change then as soon as every bar gets a handle on the 24hr food selling angle.

::

It'll come down to what the individual police officer inspecting thinks as to whether a bar has the "look" or "feel" of a bar or a restaurant, whether that bar/restaurant can produce higher food receipts (so suddenly instead of singha on a receipt one may find som tam written) and whether the inspecting officer is a bit short that month.

:rolleyes:

Had a bit of a close call on Soi Yodsak the other day. Think I got close to ordering sausage.

:o

Was "chatting" away to a "bird" in the bar. All going swimmingly. She said to me that she had seen me walking down the street before but had not seen me go into a bar near her bar and commented "I no think you like lady... bar". With her accent and the way it came out I could have sworn that she was going to say "lady boy" but changed her mind at the last second.

::

Put a bit of a dampener on my enthusiasm and I beat a hasty retreat.

For what it's worth I couldn't have initially told the difference. Still unsure as to whether she/he was or wasn't. :drunk:

Archived