Qantas Announce Fuel Surcharge Today

Torneyboy

Hi Fly.....true ..and a good point.

Still is a hassel for us ..to log on and off thier site, and to try and call we can be on hold for 40 mins sometimes..(QF industry sales is worse ...1 hour and up).

We have a new junior now and she will get all this type of enquiry...we don't get a lot from virgin but time will tell .

BTW..had a guy some months back ..looked like he sleeps in the park....pulled out 10k to pay for a cruise ::..you can never tell when a client walks in ...give attention and and you never know what we may get.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roppongi,

Profits are never shared with the consumer but with the shareholder. :)

Fuel surcharges are already a common practice with many airlines for cargo shipments. With the ever increasing fuel cost that's understandable and logic. You can either increase air fares or raise a fuel surcharge. This matter is already discussed in other countries as well. So don't blame QANTAS but blame the oil producing countries (insufficient production)and the 2 main consuming countries, the US and China. :)

JP1, oh fearless el presidento, I knew I could fish you out!!!

Is this not your first post in three months????? The Beer, The Red Wings, The Calamari, The Nachos...

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Great to see you back in the saddle, even if it's in the defense of an airline that doesn't play by the same rules as most other major players.

As for fuel surcharges, bit of a hard sell for a company making $200 million.

The Beer???

BB.....You seem upset that an airline gives it's employees benefits in the form of travel. Let me try to explain a bit how that works. First of all, at least with my airline, it is not necessarily free. A few years back, we paid a service charge for first class and economy class. The company, on their own, decided to do away with the service charge for economy. They raised first class a bit, but have no false ideas, with all the codesharing going on, an employee to see first class is somewhat rare. Second, we fly standby. If a seat is open, we can fly, if we have enough seniority to hold that seat. There is a list that the agent works from at the gate that has list of employees trying to get on that flight. Sometimes all employees get on, sometimes some, sometimes none. To compensate for that, I for one, take extra days off, without pay, to make sure I am back in time for work. If I happen to miss a flight, which happens, I then have to pay for hotels and lose that days pay. I have also had the great opportunity to buy 3 one way tickets from Seattle back to Honolulu on a different airline as mine was full. So to call this a benefit may be stretching it. Most times it works out but when it doesn't, you had damn well better have plan B, C, D and E set up along with a pile of cash to buy tickets and pay for hotels. Benefit, my ass.

TroyinEwa1 said:

BB.....You seem upset that an airline gives it's employees benefits in the form of travel.

Troy,

Yes I do.

Does not matter if you pay, if you wait or whatever, its the principle.

Imagine working for a petrolstation and fueling there at 30 % cost, work in a hospital and get free medicine and tests, work in a supermarket and pay less than nothing for stuff ?

No, why should I pay full fare business and sit next to freeloaders on Sabena, which was a state-owned company by the way, I pay for those damned tickets as well !

Salary is salary, should cover all aspects IMO, except a company car.

But why get free ( or near-free and conditions ) tickets ???

I hope you see my point as well, not elitair, just not fair IMO.

BTW, I am a very seasoned traveller, in the 80s I used to be twice a month in the Far-East, at least twice a month in the Middle-East, once a month to the US, average of 250 flights a year.......... :p

BB

Imagine working for a petrolstation and fueling there at 30 % cost, work in a hospital and get free medicine and tests, work in a supermarket and pay less than nothing for stuff ?

Hi BB,

Don't know how it works in Belgium, or even Europe to be honest, but here in Australia, you get things like this at most companies you work for. Well, as far as I'm aware talking to friends and other people. They're called "perks of the job." And wages in the travel/airline industry for a vast majority of the employees are low. Most people work in the industry because of the benefits of cheap or free travel. You're not subsidising the seats - as the previous poster said, airline/travel employees are on standby so they're travelling in seats that would have been empty yesterday. I have been at Sydney airport waiting 8 hours to try and get on a flight to Melbourne, (only an hour away), but just had to keep waiting as all the flights were full. I accept this and deal with it as I was travelling on a cheap ticket. We don't get preferrential treatment very often!

Fly P.

Hi BB

You must have got many ""free flights"" with FF Miles??

we can sit next to someone that got a FF seat in First and a client paid 10k...same ?

Perks as Fly mentioned is correct.....the travel industry in oz does not pay all that well and this helps keep good staff.

Along with commission for meeting targets etc.

Better not mention the free hotel accommodation we can get as well ::

BB..........I see your point but I also hope you see mine. It may look like a sweet deal but sometimes it would have been cheaper to just buy the ticket. I'll be going again next month, hopefully, and I may just buy the ticket. Last two times I went, I lost a day trying to get there as the flights were full and ended up in economy in middle seats the next day anyway. If I buy the ticket, at least I'll get a choice of what middle seat I want. Take care.

Roppongi said:

Is this not your first post in three months????? The Beer, The Red Wings, The Calamari, The Nachos...

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Great to see you back in the saddle, even if it's in the defense of an airline that doesn't play by the same rules as most other major players.

As for fuel surcharges, bit of a hard sell for a company making $200 million.

The Beer???

Yeah, you're right, the first post since a long time.

As for the beer, the Red Wings, the Calamaris. Agreed. Nachos, I can't stand them ::

I am not defending Qantas in particular but the right of any company, airlines imcluded, to make profits. These profits are not for the general public but as I said before for the shareholders.

What do you expect from let's say an electric power supplier, if the cost of raw material is skyrocketing? To cover the expenses on their own and not to increase the unit costs for consumption of electricity?? No, I'm sure you would accept an increase without further protest. Why is it that always airlines are pointed out if they apply the same rules? They operate in the same economical environment as anybody else. Sorry for ranting. ::

Archived