Q Bar raided

Gad-

Agreed. I have been in BKK/Thialand for 16 years and as much as I love Thailand BUT I have always kept a homebase in the states because I intrinsically understand and know the Thai legal system cannot be trusted.As friend of mine my best

long time Thai buddy who operates at the very very top of the food chain(educated of course in the states) says "this is an uncivilized society" NOTE he does not say it is an uncivilized culture.I agree on both counts.

This is not good.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elef said:

Hi,

most countries in the world require that foreigners must carry passports, so I can't see the problem with Thailand doing the same!

Actually all persons in Thailand over a certain age much carry a ID - and so do many other countries!

elef

But I don't know of any democrat country, whose authorities are hunting for tourists carrying no passports to extort bribes

Hi Hardy,

that's correct, but still if you're involved in anything illegal bringing you the attention of the police in other countries, they take you in custody until your passport is brought to the police station or your embassy intervenes!

So make a copy of the photo page and the visa page of your passport and make a plastic cover, or carry an other photo ID in Thailand.

elef

I agree that the extortion is there to the extent that the police see it as an opportunity to make some extra money. BUT, someone at a high level has given the green light to harass tourists. Exposure like this is very visible at the very top of the government which makes me think that there is an initiative to eliminate Farang nightlife in Bangkok. Simple as that, unfortunately.

A seemingly informed poster in another forum says the foreigners taken into custody at Q Bar were those who also didn't have copies of their passports (the copy must include copies of the visa and stamps).

Another poster cites Thai Immigration as saying that only Immigration police have the right to demand to see/have a foreigner's passport. Ordinary police can demand to see a form of identification, for which a copy of the passport or a driver's license should suffice.

Is other photo ID acceptable, ie a driving license?

I wouldn't have a problem carrying credit card sized ID around, its the bulk of the passport, as well as the implications of losing it (And I know, I've been there) that make most leave them behind.

I think the weird part of being here for too long is that I sometimes forget how unbelievable it is that the police can randomly raid a bar and piss-test the crowd :banghead: Just a normal bar... no cause.

I could gripe about the passport thing, but it is part of Thai law and is reasonable, or lets just say : within - 'the scope of reason'.

However, it is a gross violation of civil rights and makes people damn uncomfortable to be held in a club with the lights on in a foreign nation, while on holiday, and forced to cue up and hand urine to a man in a brown uniform who grimaces.

If the police want to check for legal drinking age even as a charade :grinyes: I say they leave the bars and set up stings at the 7-11's Sang Som sales counter.

Nightlife here is Really Taking a Beating.

the_numbers

the_numbers said:

to be held in a club with the lights on in a foreign nation, while on holiday, and forced to cue up and hand urine to a man in a brown uniform who grimaces.

Is this done in private? Does an officer witness the actual "production" of the yellow stuff? Are there female officers to "help" the female customers?

Very classy indeed.

Actually, it is not! I am holding an Airport Tag for BKK Airport, since I work down there.The Tag is issued by Thai Airways and contains my picture, first & family name, date of birth as well as expire date. Anyway, I carry this tag always in my valet and got always a way with it. 2 weeks ago when we entered " The Bed Club" at Soi 11 they wouldnt let me in. A friend of mine, works at the United Nations as a Researcher, not a diplomat, also carries a similiar tag with him, was with me and had the same problem. Some friends carried a passport and were allowed to get in. We, instead, went to the Faith Club at Soi 23 and had no problems to get in after showing our 2 plastic cards. I was always under the same impression as you are, but with all the changes at the moment you dont know what ID to carry and to be honest, if some one doesnt let me in because I dont have a proper ID I am angry already and leave it. I hope the country where I live in since 8 years, doesnt turn in to a Police State. cheers,

Archived