Q Bar raided

OCgringo said:

ummm

OK after reading this thread a couple questions....

Do the hotel have a master key for lock boxes ? I thought you needed both keys , at least at the Dynasty they say you do.

When the police brought their "prisoners" back to their hotels to get their passports , how was that done ? again my lock box key is hidden in my room in my suitcase. I would need to go to my room to get it, I guess the police would come back with me to my room ?

And the bad news is they don't bring you back to the hotel, you sit in an overcrowded cell until you can find someone able to bring the passport to the police station.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly1 said:

The law states that a Passport is the only valid form of ID, it must be carried by all foreign visitors to Thailand and can be asked for by any law enforcement agent at any time.

What law? I hear this all of the time...

Me too, and I'm still not convinced. Surely, law or no law, the ability to produce a valid passport and travel documents within a reasonable period should suffice? :rolleyes:

I just carefully checked both the current Rough Guide and the Lonely Planet Guide to Thailand and NEITHER makes ANY mention of it being compulsory to carry a passport whilst in the country as a tourist. Conversely, the Rough and LP Guides to Japan both recommend that tourists have their passport with them at all times since "the police have the right to arrest anyone who fails to do so" (Rough Guide to Japan, p. 70).

If someone can give me a reference to the actual law that states a passport must be carried about the person at all times whilst in Thailand on a tourist visa, I'll start carrying mine with me until someone picks it stealthily from my pocket as I slumber face-down on the bar at Soi 7 beergarden. :) If no such law exists, the bloody thing stays in the hotel safety deposit box. :)

Surely someone knows the real story? ::

jack :help:

Hi,

US State Department

"Thai police occasionally raid discos, bars, or nightclubs looking for underage patrons and drug users. During the raids, they typically check the IDs of all customers in the establishment, and then make each person provide a urine sample to be checked for narcotics. Foreigners are not excused from these checks, and anyone whose urine tests positive for drugs is arrested and charged. Although some Thai civil libertarians have questioned the constitutionality of these forced urine tests, the Embassy is unaware of any successful challenge to the practice, and customers can be jailed if they do not cooperate."

British Embassy Bangkok

"Keep your passport in the hotel safe and carry a photocopy with you."

It gets back to my point about a police state!

The police seem to make up the law as they go along, and as there are no effective courts there is no way to challenge them.

I hope, but I suspect not, that the various embassies are asking the Thai government some leading questions.

I take valium on the flight over so I can sleep on the plane. Obviously this will show up in my urine. Does anyone have any clue if this is a substance they are looking for? Would a prescription bottle keep me out of trouble?

Not sure why I am asking here, I doubt any of you know the answer to this one. Just shows how easy it would be to get caught up in a mess for a legitamite prescription.

In the old days, Oldtimer wouldn't dream of carrying his passport. But now he does wrapped in plastic to comply with Thai law, even when driving to the mini-mart. He supposes that all this is necessary in a world of terrorism. And he knows of night clubs in Europe that won't let a non-member in without a passport.

But, what Oldtimer does strongly object to is being given a compulsory urine test. In fact he is VERY angry about the raid on the Q Bar which he visits when in BKK. Oldtimer has never has used drugs nor does he consort with those who do!

Oldtimer beleives that the Minister of the Interior is out of control on this one. He will report any such infringements of his civil rights as a guest in a foreign country to his embassy and recommend that his fellow business executives avoid the wonderful country of Thailand until their freedom to take a drink in the evening is not treatened by police tactics.

Oldtimer is sorry to say this because he loves the country and strongly supports the current government, but what friends is the hell going on with the police in BKK?

OK GUYS

I DID SOME RESEARCH BECAUSE ..WELL I WANTED TO KNOW AND I BELEIVE THIS IS THE "REASONING" BEHIND THE RAID.

APPARENTLY the week BEFORE THE RAID the policia found some 130 grams of heroin stuck up the pooper of a somewhat upscale Pakistani dude. The police shook him down heavily and in turn he ratted ona Farang dealer who was behind the sale of this ,what I beleive truly is a menace to society. They arrested his ass and when they popped him

they found several other Farang who frequent the Q bar. I ALSO SUPSPECT THESE SAME GENTS HAVE RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE UP SCALE THAI YOUTH (READ HIGH-SO SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF THE POLITICIANS)

Ther cops felt something must be done to stem the tide ewtc etc and it came down form the top got toQ Bar and make some arrests. When no drugs were found,naturally the cops could not lose face and went for the passport angle.(just to scare them a bit and make their presence known).

Naturally I will publically state "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE" but this theory came from well someone that IS IN A POSIITON TO KNOW. NUFF SAID-

This is inline with the general REGULATION and protection OF THAI SOCIETY as it suits the powers to be. To thenm who cares if somedecadent youth have to spend a night in a rat-hole jail scared to death-

The above isA probable reason for this PARTICULAR Q BAR RAID-

Like a lot of long time part-time BKK Farang ex pats THE ENTIRE SERIES OF EVENTS REALLY BOTHERED ME ...

UGH TIT

Q BAR MAY BE SHUT FOR 30 DAYS ---IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Hi,

US State Department

"Thai police occasionally raid discos, bars, or nightclubs looking for underage patrons and drug users. During the raids, they typically check the IDs of all customers in the establishment, and then make each person provide a urine sample to be checked for narcotics. Foreigners are not excused from these checks, and anyone whose urine tests positive for drugs is arrested and charged. Although some Thai civil libertarians have questioned the constitutionality of these forced urine tests, the Embassy is unaware of any successful challenge to the practice, and customers can be jailed if they do not cooperate."

British Embassy Bangkok

"Keep your passport in the hotel safe and carry a photocopy with you."

More confusion.

1. The reports about the raid indicate that the police were insisting on original passports. A copy was not enough.

2. The British Embassy advises: "Keep your passport in the hotel safe and carry a photocopy with you." This seems like sensible advice, except that in Thailand the police will still jail you.

3. The US State Department refers to IDs, which includes drivers licenses and, I would think, a photo copy of a passport.

4. The US State Department: "Thai civil libertarians have questioned the constitutionality of these forced urine tests" In other words, the law is unclear, but the police have the guns.

None of this looks good for Thailand.

If someone has at their fingertips a Thai law which states foreigners must carry a passport, I would like to see it, because I don't believe it exists. I think those who keep repeating there is one are reciting an urban legend. But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

ID is one thing, and I am curious what is considered 'legal' ID in Thailand. I have a Thai driver's licence (which might be still valid, haven't checked for a while). My passport is a new one, with special security 'reflection' so the photo can't be photocopied, just appears as a blob, so doubt it would satisfy police or that they would understand the reasons for the security reflection. I don't.

But the point has been made that the police can hold you as long as they want and make any demands they want regardless what the law says. They do it all the time.

Hi Gadfly,

probably the passport is the only legal ID of a foreigner, but if you're a british citizen and follow the advice of the embassy re carry a copy, you can also ask them to intervene if policemen not accepting this.

There's a law in Thailand that all persons over a certain age (14/15/16?) must carry a ID, this applies also to foreigners. So we are back to the question what is a legal ID. I normally not carry any ID in LOS and if I do it's my driver's license.

In Sweden I don't have to carry any ID but according to the law all foreigners (except other scandinavian citizens) must carry a national ID if from other EU-countries and the rest passports.

In other EU countries - Belgium for example, even belgian citizens must carry a ID.

elef

Archived