Q Bar raided

FOR THE THIRD TIME IN ALL OF THESE ASSORTED THREADS...

Take a breath and read and understand this!!!! The law states that the police had the right to ask you to identify yourself upon demand. This is the same as any other country in the world. In the States, you can also be arrested if you have no acceptable form of ID on your person. Check it out if you do not believe me.

The acceptable forms of ID for a foreigner in Thailand are:

a) Passport

B) Thai Driving License

c) A copy of the info & entry stamp pages from your passport SIGNED & STAMPED by an immigration offical.

Nothing else is considered acceptable. And this makes sense. How are they to know if your California, or EU or whatever driver's license is legit or a Khao San Rd. copy??? They have prolly never seen one before. And how will they know if you are legal in the country by that? Use your heads, gents.

This is from one of my best friends who is a Major in the Thai Immigration Police. He does know of what he speaks!

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the question and discussion on this board, whether Thai laws state that a foreigner must carry his passport all the time or not is a typical Farang perspective!

Thai laws are in no way as detailed as their counterpart in western countries and leave the administration, authorities and courts much more room for interpretation.

so if boardmembers quote locals they know, working in the administration (like immigration officers, lawyers, police officers etc.) they refer to the interpretation of the Thai law by the according person and not what is exaclty literally word by word stated in the Thai law!!

suadum said:

FOR THE THIRD TIME IN ALL OF THESE ASSORTED THREADS...

Take a breath and read and understand this!!!! The law states that the police had the right to ask you to identify yourself upon demand. This is the same as any other country in the world. In the States, you can also be arrested if you have no acceptable form of ID on your person. Check it out if you do not believe me.

The acceptable forms of ID for a foreigner in Thailand are:

a) Passport

B) Thai Driving License

c) A copy of the info & entry stamp pages from your passport SIGNED & STAMPED by an immigration offical.

Nothing else is considered acceptable...

Okay, for the second time in this thread, give me a precise reference to this "law", and I will believe you and start carting my fucking passport round with me whenever I'm nipping out of my Sukhumvit hotel to Star of Light to get sucked off. :doah:

suadum said:Check it out if you do not believe me.

I would love to. Again, please give me a specific reference to an official police/govenment web site or any officially published material which will allow me to verify what you claim. I simply do not believe that the British Embassy would omit to advise British citizens visiting Thailand of this "law" if it indeed exists. :nono:

We all complain about the Thai fuzz making up the rules on the spot, then some of us start offering pseudo-legal advice and spouting "laws" without substantiating them on a public noticeboard? Give me a break. :down: (No offense, Suadam. :))

jack :beer:

samak said:

Thai laws are in no way as detailed as their counterpart in western countries and leave the administration, authorities and courts much more room for interpretation. ...not what is exaclty literally word by word stated in the Thai law!!

Erm, I think you're contradicting yourself there chief? :doah: If something is set down somewhere exactly literally word by word then that's detailed enough for me, boss. :beer:

And that's the written part of the law for which I challenge Suadam, and anyone else who's tuning in, to supply me a reference. ;)

For something to be "open to interpretation", it has to fucking well exist a priori, otherwise it couldn't be interpreted, pal. :applause:

jack :help:

Fiery Jack said:I would love to. Again, please give me a specific reference to an official police/govenment web site or any officially published material which will allow me to verify what you claim.

Nothing online, especially in English. There are large expensive books containing transliterations of Thai on sale in Asia Books & Kinokunya. If I find the time & inclination as well as if they are unsealed, I will look it up and post some kind of identifying number or whatever I can find.

But in reality I have known the Major for many years, we regularly go to each others homes , my kids babysit his kids, etc, so I have 100% confidence in his answer. Maybe he will know the number of the law/code that he cited. I will ask him this week when I see him.

Cheers,

SD

I am coming to Bangkok in a couple of weeks for the first time and I have to say that all these clamp downs, piss tests, passport cotrols, early closing, clean ups and downright dirty dealings are surely frightening me!!!!

But I think probably the answer when I get their, is within hours of arriving, to pop to the British Embassy and make myself known and thence on to the Thai Police and ask them what they want. Also getting maybe an appropriate name with which to use in an emergency. I certainly don't want my time in Bangkok ballsed up by some by some supersilleous, heavy handed, know it all cop and being treated like a criminal or spending time in the nick!!!

Don't worry about it, just smile and be polite. Most police are sweet. They get their orders from above. Think of their tea-money needs as direct taxation.

Folks here talk a lot about the bad, but we live here because of the good, and there is a heap of that.

i am not at all contradicting myself; Thai laws usually do not contain detailed regulation, are pretty vague and leave a lot of room for interpretations.

i am pretty sure that you will not find any paragraph in Thai Laws which states in details what Suadum's Immigration major is telling, even not close to that; the Law probably just states, that any individual has to be able to identify himself properly in public. however what documents are needed for a proper indentification remains in the interpretation of the according authority. and the practise of the interpretation can change, even from case to case.

Archived