anti falang feeling

sinsin2

After hearing the varied comments, I would like to add my 2 cents. I don't think any one country is completely innocent. Countries have always fought wars for one thing and one thing only despite all the rhetoric about freedom, politics (communism, etc) and all that. Its money. The U.S., England and others fought communisim in SE Asia to keep markets open to them for products and services, despite all the rhetoric otherwise. Not that its a bad thing, it helps the native countries if done right.

The people of all countries have been anti-foreigners. Rightly or wrongly (in most cases wrongly) they're blamed for their own seemingly lowering standard of living and a false sense of nationalism about what a true Brit, American or German, etc. is.

The Thai are no different than the west in that regard. Wealthy, economicly mature countries do some things for humanitarian reasons. Just like some wealthy individuals help the poor. However, bear witness, that when it comes to a choice of humanitarianism and money, money usually wins out.

Every great empire or country, without exception, be it the Persian empire, Roman Empire, British, Ottoman, American and that is that they were all built on cheap and/or slave labor. (the minor connection are civil wars). Its a fact of life, though regarding, cheap/slave labor.

No matter what, an 'outside' people or 'new arrivals' or similar peoples will always incur the enmity of the native peoples, especially if they seem to prosper more than the natives.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Hector385:

flyonzewall

Other Black and Asian people like myself have to put up with this shit all the time in our own countries like England and the States.

Hector

Please do not generalize. I am half Asian (definitely look Asian) and grew up in Georgia, USA (the deep South). Most people treated me with kindness and friendship. The few incidents of racism I experienced were the exceptions and quite rare.

I find the general attitude of the average Thai on the street to be a mixture of jelousy and resentment. It is more or less understandable when you consider that no one who was born in Thailand and has lived here their whole lives has ever encountered anything other than a "rich" farang.

The only foreigners they have ever seen are either expats working here for what any Thai would consider to be astonomical salaries, or those who come here as tourists, and are never seen doing anything except spending money on everything and anything but the necessities of life.

Certainly Thais never see a farang doing anything that resembles the rigorous physical labor that brings a meger salary to most Thai households. I have noticed that if I even look like I am actually doing any work here, i.e., carrying heavy boxes, drilling holes in a wall (for a vending machine), it does draw attention, and I get the feeling that most of the Thai passersby are thinking to themselves, "Wow, look, a farang and he's actually working."

I think I'd be a little jealous and resentful too, if I were in their shoes, sandals? Anyway, it is a little discomforting to be misunderstood most of the time and to realize that there's nothing you can do about it.

My wife lived with me in NY for 10 months last year and was astounded at how difficult my job is in the "real" world and how many hours a week I put in. She now feels that my money is worth a lot more than it once was. After seeing how hard I have to work for it she never suggests spending any money frivolously. Seeing how the "other half" really lives was a good thing for her.

I can't copy other posts cos I'm computer illeterate blush.gif" border="0

I'm in Bangladesh and can concur with Scum. People here don't get anything free, I think they even have to pay to sleep on the footpath crazy.gif" border="0

Also I emoloy staff to do my running around and typically it takes a couple of millenia to get anything simple done. Unless I front up in these offices and hey presto, all a misunderstanding, we'll sort it out now, and ply me with tea. I hate the damned stuff frown.gif" border="0

"I am proud of being British."

Hector385,

with all respect to your sentiment, wouldn't the world be a better place IF WE ALL JUST STOPPED being proud of our respective nationalities/heritages etc.?

Just a thought from a would-be philosopher.

Scum Baggio, I'm right with you on that on my friend, I have not lived in my country of birth for 20 years and don't feel any particular affinity for it despite the fact that it's a great country in which to live, but I think there are several others that suit my needs better. I think this whole allegiance to King and country is a lot of CRAP, and a little bit of good old social enginnering perpetrated by politicians to serve their own ends.

To All

Interesting responses guys.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone. I know the vast majority of the people on this bored are good people and defintely not racist so my comment was probably unnecssaryily harsh. I am proud of being British I was born in England and very thankful for what I have learnt and gained from being an English man.

Shygye, I am glad you have been treated well in America, as I have been treated well in England most of my life. But as with virtually all MY, Black, Asian and Orential, friends in London we have never felt truly English. This is Proabaly due to so many comments and opinions I have heard and living in an era of Maggie Thatcher, Norman Tebbit, etc. It is only when I came to Thailand a few years ago that I changed my outlook and realise for eventhough I am of South Asian Orign, England is where I was born, England is the only country I know, English is really the only the culture I really know and the only language I speak (and Thai now). The Thai's and other expat's only see me as an English man regardless of my dark brown skin.

As per usual chocolate steve is the man taking sense.

Stickman's comment is great and hits the nail on the head. The whole Taskin thing is a joke and a bigger joke that many Thai peoople are willing to overlook it (most of my students included). But I am annyoed that so many of my white friends and colleagues and tourists around, come to this country and continually slag it down and complain about so many aspects of the country. ( I am not saying that Black/Asian forigners don't slag Thailand down, but to a far lesser extent)

Too many peole slag Thailand down and should simply leave if they don't like it. To me it seems many (but by no means the majority) of White Europeans who come here fine it hard coping with the fact that are in the minority and forigeners in another country. The opposite for where they are coming from. As I have been made to feel like for most of the time I was in England. (This probably explains why I had no problems living living here)

I think my annoyance has come from the posting about the Bradford rights, and several people on this forum aswell as other being very critcal of the Asian community in England. My parentas have worked hard for all their lives in Englnd, they have been thankful to Britain for providing them with a better life and are typical of how most Asian, African and West Indian feel, even with the racist they have faced.

I hope this clears things up. If not let me see your comments.

Hector

Archived