I don't see the NSO is over yet...

Hardy641

Last week we just signed a partnership with a Singaporean company and the guys gave us a great night in Singapore. It was rocking and real fun. As they paid the bill, I can?t comment on the prices, but these days you can definitely have fun in Singapore.

This Thursday they came over to Bangkok and after reading the encouraging posts here that the NSO is finally loosening up I was confident that I could prove to them that good old Bangkok can still compete with progressing Singapore.

After a good dinner (here Bangkok wins hands down) we decided to head to Mystique as it was ladies night and this club has the reputation to close later than others. We arrived at 23:00 and just settled down with our first round of drinks. The place was well filled, a lot of good looking girls, but a surprisingly high number of free lancers. Seems Mystique is heading into the same direction as Q-bar. We had fun, when suddenly the police walked in and closed the place. Luckily no passport checks. However, a group of guys got seriously pissed off as they just paid the cover minutes before the raid. A friend told me the same thing happened the week before.

Wonder what?s going on there?

The management told us we should go to Sin club (same owner?) Sukhumvit Soi 4 as they would be open all night. Unfortunately only the roof top was open at 1am when we arrived and it wasn?t fun as soon rain kicked in. When we returned home around 3am I saw that the other late night place, Josephine on the top of Sukhumvit Plaza Soi 1 was also already closed.

On Friday we tried (9pm to 10:30pm) Soi Cowboy, but except the tits of pair of very long working showgirls (they are around over 6 years) we did not saw any nudity. We have been to Sharks, Cowboy 1&2, Long Gun 1&2, and the new bar opposite Long Gun.

We then decided to head to Khaoarn road. Also a disappointment. We just ordered a jug beer outside when we have been told (11:30!), just a few minutes after receiving the drinks, that we have to drink inside! We shortly moved on to Lava, which was crowded as usual, but closed 1am sharp.

Luckily our business partners decided to head home to Singapore today, so no further disappointment tonight.

Sorry guys I really hoped to report better news. But for me the NSO is far from being over. When pre-Thaksin Bangkok got a rating of 10, last year it went down to 2, now it might be between 3-5 depending on the day you go out, but nothing compared to the good old days.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading about things being on the up at Cowboy, I too made a trek out on a week night and found not one instance of showing and I think I know at least two of the "good" places neither of which you mentioned going to. In fact there was very little overlap in the bars I went to and visited quite a few as well. Closing time seemed the same too. Was not impressed. Will likely be a long time before I go to Cowboy again. I know it is a lot of people's favorite, but it is at the bottom of mylist.

And ND, surely you are talking about farang food prices vs Singapore... Thai food is so cheap and so good in Thailand. I find myself enjoying Thai venues rather than farang to work around closing times. For 8 of us out till 6am cost about 1200 baht; food, drinks, taxi. The downside of finding venues that stay open all night is you find yourself going home in rush hour traffic though!

Neo - just to be sure, variety being the choice of more just Thai.

In Sillypore we had Chilli crab, way better than Bangkok, and cheaper!

Go figure!

Also in food courts, Vs Food crounts in Bangkok, I can get Chinese, Indian, Malay, Japanese, all cheaper cleaner and bettre.

For bars, i can go out till dawn, last night was a very wild arabian nights theme on santosa, free! And HOT

Sorry, the only thing cheaper in Bangkok are the whores!

Even accomodation in Singapore is beating Bangkok!

DOG

Soi Cowboy, but except the tits of pair of very long working showgirls (they are around over 6 years) we did not saw any nudity. We have been to Sharks, Cowboy 1&2, Long Gun 1&2, and the new bar opposite Long Gun.

You just went to the wrong bars. There's plenty to see on Soi Cowboy, just poke your head in a few more establishments.

Ranger

After reading about things being on the up at Cowboy, I too made a trek out on a week night and found not one instance of showing and I think I know at least two of the "good" places neither of which you mentioned going to. In fact there was very little overlap in the bars I went to and visited quite a few as well. Closing time seemed the same too. Was not impressed. Will likely be a long time before I go to Cowboy again. I know it is a lot of people's favorite, but it is at the bottom of mylist.
I am not surprised. And I am not sure what is going on, other than to comment that we are living in interesting times.

When I posted my optimistic posts a short while ago, things were definitely loosening up. Over the last several days the pendulum has swung back the other way. This week's Stickman column confirms this and includes a report about immigration police in the Nana hotel parking lot checking for passports!

I don't know what is behind all of this. All I know that these are interesting times for Thailand in more ways than one. Anyone here with information they feel they can safely pass along about what is happening in Bangkok these days? I know the pendulum can swing back and forth, but these days it seems to be doing so much more erratically than normal.

Archived