I don't see the NSO is over yet...

Hardy641

Gadfly1 said:

I am on my way to work this morning, and as I exit the BTS station a group of police officers (from the Labour Department?) are asking every foreigner who is not dressed like a tourist (that is, foreigners wearing a tie or even a work shirt) for their work permit.

This is absolutely pathetic. I am sure that only a small percentage of farangs wearing ties or long sleeve shirts are actually permanently working in Thailand - thus require a work permit. Most will definitely be here on Non Immigrant Visa B or if just visiting for conference or meeting on a Visa on arrival. But it is nice example how well thought out many policies of this government are. :banghead:

If it wouldn?t be so annoying it could be even considered as satire. Another anecdote of TITT. :dunno:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly1 said:

I am on my way to work this morning, and as I exit the BTS station a group of police officers (from the Labour Department?) are asking every foreigner who is not dressed like a tourist (that is, foreigners wearing a tie or even a work shirt) for their work permit.""

Does that mean I cannot wear my new snazzy 4000 baht suit around town now ?

What will happen to all the Indian suit makers ?

just seems another way to say "Welcome to Thailand" wonder what happens if you are visiting for a convention etc and then would not have a work permit ?

Doesd anyone know what happens to folk in suits (or smartly dressed) who did not have work visas? Did they take them away to the immigration or a police station?

Not sure how one would "prove" you were not working and therefore you did not need a work visa.

My assumption was that for anyone just visiting Thailand on Business to meet suppliers and contacts etc you did not need a work visa - but as said before, TIT - so nothing surprises me.

Fortunately it will only apply to me if they start targetting scruffy Farang Tourists smelling of beer. :D

This is absolutely pathetic. I am sure that only a small percentage of farangs wearing ties or long sleeve shirts are actually permanently working in Thailand - thus require a work permit. Most will definitely be here on Non Immigrant Visa B or if just visiting for conference or meeting on a Visa on arrival.
It is.

Actually, when business disputes arise, it is not uncommon for local parties to use work permit violations as leverage in those disputes. Today's Asia Bugle has a story about Ricky Diamond agogo's owner (Pattaya) getting arrested for shaking a customer's hand. Apparantly that constitutes work, and requires a permit.

Outside the nightlife scene, farang businesspeople are sometimes arrested on work permit violations for flying in to attend meetings, make presentations, etc., without a work permit. This usually occurs because it is in the interests of a local party to create problems for the farang because, for example, it will provide leverage in a business dispute or handicap a competitor. Back when Effective Planners was the plan administrator for TPI, several Australians were charged with work permit violations because their work permits indicated - in Thai - that they worked in Bangkok but did not say anything about working outside of Bangkok. They had no idea what the documents said in Thai (and the Thai was ambigious), and attended some meeting just over the Bangkok city line. They were pursued - and portrayed in certain local circles - as dangerous criminals. But the whole episode made Thailand look ridiculous, particularly to the foreign business community.

As with all of these "crackdowns", it is not really about law enforcement. There is something going on behind the scene that is motivating the crackdown. When it happens in legitimate business circles here (and it does), we can often figure out why or who was behind it. But when crackdowns happen in the nether world of the night life industry, I have no clue about who or why, but I have little doubt that similiar incentives are operating.

perhaps the local cops trying to find a new line of cash?

Agree on the use of immigration in business disputs, I know personally of a very large well known company here argusing with its foreign partner.

The forieng partners top man was taken away, as his papers specified which floor he was workig on,

THe local partner moved his office, and always then had this hidden ace to play, which they did!

DOG

A common mistake is to think work permits are only necessary if you are being paid for the work.

Not so.

It is a work permit, not an earnings permit.

Even if you work for free (voluntary work), strictly you need a work permit.

A common mistake is to think work permits are only necessary if you are being paid for the work.

Not so.

It is a work permit, not an earnings permit.

Even if you work for free (voluntary work), strictly you need a work permit.

True. And apparently in Pattaya you need a permit to shake hands.

Archived