A girl possessed?

SnakAtak

This Thai woman I know, young attractive university graduate, carries a bottle of water around with her on occasions. The water comes from a particular well from a temple on the outskirts of Bangkok. She went there recently to pick up ten liters of the water which she drinks samples of when ever she feels unwell.

I was watching her one evening reciting Sanskrit and holding a red cloth with the Sanskrit language written all over it. As she recited, her arm holding the red cloth was trembling in a crazed fashion with muscles protruding in a way that seemed unnatural. She told me later she had something ?inside? her that she couldn?t explain. A monk had told her it would be removed if she continued the recital and drank the water. She said she understood it would be hard for me as a foreigner to understand this but I should bear with her until this thing had cleared up.

I went to watch a movie with her once, and half way through, she started making noises and having trouble breathing. We had to leave early and she said if she drank more of the water, she would be ok.

Now I am wondering whether or not I had encountered some kind of nut? I appreciated her telling me all in honesty despite her reluctance to show her as crazy in my eyes. I wonder how much of this stuff we don?t get to hear about and whether others on this board have experienced similar unexplained behaviors?

ok yeah, have heard of this. Have some idea about people who have done this. Basically, the water is the same as "holy water" to catholics (?) and the red cloth maybe sililar to rosery beads of a prayer shawll/talis... every religion has this type stuff. The catholic church I believe still conducts exorcisims...

That said, whether or not these demons are real or not is up in the air. But, as far as she is concerned, they are real, so all this helps her...but sadly, and I am no expert here, I am guessing some sort of mental illness...I'm guess schizophrenia...

[color:"red"] Now I am wondering whether or not I had encountered some kind of nut? I appreciated her telling me all in honesty despite her reluctance to show her as crazy in my eyes. I wonder how much of this stuff we don?t get to hear about and whether others on this board have experienced similar unexplained behaviors?

[/color]

Being older now, I have room to not to judge this type of things. It is "crazy" in my eyes too but for me, if such belief makes her feel better and does not bother anyone else, I would let it go. Many things in this world is difficult to understand, especially human behaviour. I don't think she wants to feel this way or could it be this is how she gets noticed?

Jasmine

Sure she's a Buddhist? Could be a Charismatic Christian. Got very drunk with a farang lady a couple of years ago. Both of us extremely pissed on brandy. Had a little kiss etc. Suddenly she started going on about something and how she shouldn't do it and started speaking in ancient aramaic or something, ( could have been reciting her shopping list backwards for all I know). Her face went a greenish complexion and looked like it had the texture of putty. I did say I had had a lot of brandy to drink so maybe it was just me feeling queasy. Was like a scene out of the exorcist. Apparently CCs do this thing called "speaking in tongues". Seems like it was this chick's party trick when drunk. Dunno why they're called Charismatic as I found it rather repulsive. ::

Way back in my Peace Corps days, one of my students was allegedly possessed by the spirit of a deceased lover. The gal had been on a trip to Ayutthaya and dozed off on a bench there. The spirit of a lover from Ayutthaya times recognised her and possessed her body! (So the students told me. The gal was a university English major and of 100% Chinese ancestory.)

Anyway, her classmates in the dorm had to restrain her from throwing herself off of the balcony! They had to keep a constant watch on her, since her deceased lover supposedly wanted her dead so their spirits could be together again. The university notified her family, and the family got an elderly monk to come and perform an exorcism. Apparently, it worked. At least the girl came back to her old self again.

Totally wierd and spooky...

::

Thanks for the input guys!

I have since been taken across country with her and witnessed something I had never seen in all my years in the kingdom.

The troubled young woman wanted to meet up with her spiritual father (a monk) she has had guidance from since childhood. He had planned for her to visit a local witch doctor when the local hospital doctor could find nothing wrong. She was still saying there was ?something? inside, taking control of her. Reciting Sanskrit and drinking the temple water alleviated the symptoms but did not cure them.

Since things had gotten worse the monk arranged a rendezvous with the witch doctor. Just before we went she told me of how Thai people believe they can leave their spirit inside of you just by their touch! A bar girl could haunt a customer in this way she said. In her case she told me of a former Thai student admirer. He had touched her arm with some spiritual oil so he would never loose her. She said she could not loose his spirit without this witch doctors help. Previously she had always spurned the Thai students advances in favor of studies at university so one day he raped her. Since then, almost a year ago, he has occasionally pestered her with phone calls or sent strangers knocking on her door. She thought he was trying to kill her.

She, the monk and myself drove out into a remote plantation area devoid of many people at 3 in the morning where we arrived at some very basic concrete brick home lived in by an 90 year old witch doctor and his wife of some 30 years junior. Both seemed simple farm people. The wife had prepared some offerings of basic food, and after the old man had got out of bed, smoked his cheap tobacco and took two glasses of rice whisky the Sanskrit chants started by him as he faced a solitary candle. The monk took no part in any of the proceedings just watched along with me. Then the food was passed onto the young woman to eat.

After that the witch doctor covered his head entirely in his shawl so we could just see his outline and his chanting became very quite and his body movements more exaggerated as he twirled a tree leaf in a bowl of water placed by his wife in front of him. Suddenly as the chants were barely audible he screamed out a large hiss and shook widely for a man of his age. He threw off his shawl and then asked for the young woman?s feet, which he started writing Sanskrit on and sucking with his mouth after swigging clear fresh water from the bowl he had chanted over. He made gargling noises as the water in his mouth and the feet sucking progressed and he spat out some blackened water and saliva into an empty bowl provided by the wife also. They all looked at the blackened oily liquid and said it had been removed from the young woman. The witch doctor proceeded for several minutes to suck on each foot, then finally her upper back which she lifted her shirt up for. When the proceedings were complete she was looking relieved, the blackened bowl of spittle and water represented the bad spirit within her removed, they said, and we all left just before sunrise.

For what it?s worth, I have seen this with my own eyes and I still don?t believe any of it. However, she?s changed addresses, phones, stopped drinking the temple water and the inner pains have gone; so perhaps that?s a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

An amazing thing to witness indeed and I am sure everybody has their own views on it......

OH - what is the reference to Si Saket about? I am seing someone from there and now you make me kit mahk - haha!

Archived