Meaning of "Buckanee"

Mekong

Could somebody please help me out here, before I pull all of my hair out.

"Buckanee"(sp), I know that it is an Issan word, of some derogatory nature, but what exactly does it mean. Whenever I piss the mia off (usually once an hour, I'm getting better it used to be only once every 2 hours), thats all that she says, and whenever I ask her the meaning she just laughs at me and says it again.

"Buck-ha-nee" roughly translates to "bastard". The proper (?) response to this is "ee-ha-nee" which roughly translates to "b*tch". Just make sure you're not within striking distance when you say it.

But....I'd be willing to bet it will be the last time she says it once she knows that YOU know what it means smile.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

>"Buck-ha-nee" roughly translates to >"bastard".

Wouldn't that be "ai ha nee"? I thought "buck" was roughly equivalent to "khun", but I don't have a ready Isaan reference and have to rely on memory. "Buck" isn't a word I've heard used, but the Lao posters on soc.culture.thai have used it. Hmmm. Come to think of it they've used it as a component in insulting language, so maybe this is right.

"Ha" (low tone) means "cholera", and "ha nee" means either the person you're addressing is as welcome as an attack of cholera or a wish that that they die from cholera.

Archived