Howdy from bay area...wanna reminiscence until....

Flasher,

The bay area has expanded in all directions (north, south, and east) since you were here 30 years ago. People are commuting from as far as Stockton, Vallejo and Patterson. The mayor is a would-be-president sharp 30 something son of an attorney, police chief is an asian woman, food is the best, people are friendly, and real estate is worth crying about.

What else did you miss? Oh, weather? It snowed at Mt. Diablo yesterday. On TV news Mt. Diablo was looking more like Sierras than Mt. Diablo. For other folks who are not familiar with bay area, Mt. Diablo is the highest mountain (over 3500 ft high) in the bay area and is surrounded by 1000s of acres of Mt. Diablo state park. In the foothills of Mt. Diablo is Blackhawk probably the most expensive real estate in bay area.

I do not even want to venture into cost of living in bay area because it is going to make all us bay area-ites cringe with pain.

Yes, speaking of Mayor, would you believe he is hooked by a fame chasing attorney turned TV personality who has on-and-off relationship with him? Or, should I say on-and-off divorce? She lives in NY and appeared overnight on the side of the Mayor when Prince Charles and Lady (?) Camilla Parker Bowle were in SF for a visit.

Did I say food is the best, yet. I would say finger-licking good. Buzz me when you veterans are in town and I will make sure you lick your fingers good =)

Feel free to correct me my fellow bay area-ites.

-PizzaMan

Yes, it is so true I have a friend who bought a house in 1999 for 230K and it is now over 500K. He wants out but his wife does not as she has family here. Lot of home owners are selling their houses and moving into rentals. The rents are still the same and have not moved much in last 5-6 years.

Buses and trolleys, don't do much as average commute is 40-50 miles a day. Going into the city, Bart is pretty much the only option. A trip to and fro to the San francisco city on Bart from my place in east bay costs me about $10 bucks. Far cry from 15 cents of the past.

-PizzaMan

Archived