Superstition

Today my girlfriend was talking about how it was not good if boyfriend/girlfriend gave each other a watch, perfume or ... as a gift because it might cause "problems" in the future or something. Anyone heard about this bfore? Can someone enlighten me what she means with that? Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its interesting that you mention perfume. I had seen it reported on this and another message board that giving perfume to your Thai girlfriend is considered rude in Thai culture because it implies that your girlfriend smells. This spiked my interest so I asked some Thais about this, a total of about 5 in all. Not one of them had heard of this taboo. The Thais were of various ages and social postions.

Maybe I was just unlucky in the 5 random Thais I asked, but I get the feeling that this particular taboo is certainly not very widely known and is most probably just some sort of urban myth amongst farangs. One young Thai Chinese lady I asked said she had never heard of this taboo and would be happy to receive perfume as a gift.

Perfume and cosmetics are always well received by my gf. Of course, she loves anything I give her, right down to the smallest teddy bear.

The only problem I can think of in giving her a watch is that you might expect her to be on time as a result! Someone once told me that the biggest waste of money in Thailand is buying your TGF a watch.

All-

I'm still trying to get on of my Thai female friends to wear her watch right-side-up.. it really helps you tell the time...

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[uPS'ers 2001 total mileage = 974,653]

• 2 weeks later...

I've given perfume to many Thai ladies. One lady would be hurt if I showed up without a bottle of perfume for her. My present wife appreciated my giving perfume to her, but she quietly passed it along to her sister because it gave her a headache. I've never heard of this taboo and never seen an indication that giving perfume was any sort of a problem (except for the headache, of course).

Rick

I'm no expert when it comes to relationships...but my sort of NBGF specifically asked me for perfume. A BG I know/knew asked me for a cheap watch...so I guess it varies with the girl, and what she needs/wants at the time. As for superstitions in general, even my neighbor/would be in a perfect world my GF here in the states, the mormon says she still believes in a lot of Buddhist and Thai superstitions...so for what that is worth...

quote:

Originally posted by Lazaro:

I was told that buying a parfume to a GF is a kind of a "go away" or a "Goodbye" present.

That is what I was told also. Perfume is a traditional parting gift when a relationship ends, at least in certain areas of Thailand. Of course, like all traditions, not everyone subscribes to it.

I bought some perfume for my fiancee a while back, and she insisted on paying me one baht for it.... that way, she had bought it instead of it being a gift.

Gotta love Thai girls. As many as possible smile.gif" border="0

Archived