Learning Thai correctly..

mattwasp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought for the longest time that the word for "angry" is "kout," when in reality it's "kRout"...but because my girlfriend (who had a high school education, btw) only pronounced it the former way, that's all I had to go on...

Haha, don`t I know that one.

I learnt conversational thai at first and it wasn`t until a few years later I started learning the alphabet.

Came as a big surprise to me as well how quite a few words were actually spelled and their correct pronounciation. Of course I stick to my initial learning since that is what I hear spoken and since I am stubborn. ::

I have no intention of sounding like a tv speaker anyway :) and I find the pronounciation of the Ror Ruea pretty hard, so I am quite happy most pronounce it as an L instead.

I became a major pain in the butt to the wife when I learnt the script as I would once in a while inquire her about her pronounciation, which led her to utter the immortal words: "Don`t cha teach me no thai ai farang" :o

She is perfectly able to speak the "king`s thai" (although lao born and bred) and does so once in a while when making fun.

The reason why she doesn`t speak like that all the time is she thinks it sounds pompous that way.

Cheers

hn

>The reason why she doesn`t speak like that all the time is she thinks it sounds pompous that way.

oh yes, big time! plus, like most people from isaan (or did you mean she's actually from laos?), I'm sure she's well aware of the dynamics of the huge colonial state called thailand, in which a tiny but crafty minority managed to gain control over 10s of millions of people (malays, lanna folk, khmer, issan lao) who are not "thai" at all, and to perpetuate the myth that all those people are in fact this thing called "Thai"...

preahko

just because people who grew up in those regions in the modern era (and were thus brought up from childhood as good little Thais with a capital "T") have risen to positions of power doesn't lessen the historical rape of those regions by the central thais...

look at the reality on the ground in those regions: isaan, land not fit for dirt farming, let alone rice farming, hence the large migration of all the women who suck farang cock in bangkok to make ends meet, taxi drivers, street-sweepers, etc.; lanna: scarily high HIV infection rate while the rate in the rest of thailand has dropped... the south: haha, well, we won't even get started on the problems down there...though I don't condone the beheading of innocent monks and teachers, you have to hand it to those folks for at least having the balls to stand up to the thais...

preahko

So the Thais are responsible for Isaan's geography? Would it be any better if Lan Xang had continued to exist -- and the whole thing had been colonised by the French?

Lanna has a high HIV rate allegedly because the men brought it home and gave it to their wives.

<< you have to hand it to those folks for at least having the balls to stand up to the thais... >>

Yeah, takes a real man to whack monks with machetes and beat female teachers into a coma. Maybe it would be better if Pattani and Yala were re-united with Kelantan - one of the most poverty stricken parts of Malaysia.

:dunno:

p.s. My wife is Khon Muang. And if the Thais hadn't annexed most of Lanna, the Burmese would have. Believe me, she much prefers being Thai to living in Burma.

preahko said:

you have to hand it to those folks for at least having the balls to stand up to the thais...

Is that what it takes? I thought it was religious ideology that drives the pillion riders to shoot their neighbors in the back...

Assuming of course, you can 'see' the standing up in such an act of senseless violence. I know I can't :dunno:

Archived