Cambodia

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattaya127

Sorry, can't say, because I don't know what "apsara" and "lintel" mean. If they mean curvy, tender and gracious, then I guess I might have a AW girl that fits your bill.

cool.gif" border="0

Vtom,

you claim Angkor Wat kicked ass, and you don't know what means apsara? You are indeed a hell of a stupid, wreckless, drunken fool. All said in fun, of course!

PS send me your e-mail at pattaya127@aol.com and i have an apsara pix for you you won't have to worry about my Siem Reap nightlife!

Pattaya127,

The "vroom, vroom" person (as you put it) is always a mouse click away from vtombrown@aol.com (except when at work, where he is only allowed to check the weather and business reports via his employer's internet server).

Educate me on that esoteric terminology. By the way, I suppose you read that guy on the other thread, who typed expletives when he spilled his drink on himself while trying to post and get inebriated, simultaneously. That was a precious moment. Never would happen to me. I think he should lose ten credits towards graduating from his "Newbie" status.

vroom crazy.gif" border="0

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

Mykal,

Have you discovered msn sanukcambodia and delphi funincambodia yet?

http://communities.msn.co.uk/sanukcambodia

www.delphi.com/funincambodia

The msn board reqires membership but anyone from here is pretty much guaranteed acceptance.

If you've never been to a country just coming out of decades of civil war with little infrastructure and a low quality of life for most of the population it will be something of a culture shock, much more so even than LOS. Everything is more primitive there, facilities, transport, brothels.

Cambodian brothels are not for most sanukers, imagine the dirtiest, grottiest ST room you've ever seen on Soi 6, Pattaya, well that's luxury compared to the Cambodian knock-shops. There are more upmarket places to be found, for sure, but they are in the minority. Most girls speak less English than their Thai counterparts.

It's also not a place to walk around drunk at night, or even walk around at night, or flash any cash. The safety record is dodgy. Take reasonable common sense precautions and you'll probably be fine, but this is not Thailand where you can walk around pissed and act it up and get away with it.

If this paints a picture of a place not worth visiting then let me say this "edge" for want of a better word, this wild west atmosphere is what makes it special for me. But know what you are getting into, it really is a third world country, unlike LOS. Get into trouble there and you're on your own.

Like I said, if you haven't been put off by this already then you're probably the type of person who might really like Cambodia, it is not like anywhere else I've ever been.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: DJ1999J ]

Thanks for all the info guys. I am going to solicit the services of the #1 longtime for Cambodia. The great Mr. Sophann I have been hearing about. If he can't keep me from getting killed I imagine no one can. The wildness is part of the attraction. I want to go to the firing range and shoot chickens! That should give you an idea about how adventurous I am. I am also from Brooklyn, NY and lived in Washington, DC the murder capitol of the world for sometime. God does not want me just yet.

Mykal

MYKAL

I'd certainly cut my teeth first in some place as easy as LOS before I'd decide to go to Cambodia, it's a somewhat dodgier place to get around.

Having said that you'll have fun at the range but there weren't too many chickens left out there last week. (actually not sure if that really goes on these days)

Was offered grenades at $10 a pop to throw into a small pond. Declined it as I'm more likely to throw the pin and hold the grenade.

Can I just say that you really need to spend a bit of time in the place (minimum 7 or 8 days) as this place is pricy for a 3rd world country.

Throw in a 2 day pass to Angkor Wat and the rest of the temples, driver, occasional guide, more exercise than you can poke a stick and you won't have the energy at the end of the day to find any sanuk in Siem Reap.

Thanks for the advice Phantom. I was thinking the same thing about doing Thailand first but I am sure after this trip I won't be anywhere close to Asia again for at least a year. I may skip Pattya and just do BKK for 2-3 nights and PNH for 3-4 and decide to go back to BKK after one night or hang out in PNH depending on how the country strikes me. I may hit BKK and feel like I should just stay. Who knows? I feel that since I can't just leave the USA anytime I feel I should get both experiences in while the chance is there. As far as the safety factor, I am very comfy in questionable surroundings. I have been around rough environments all of my life. However the language barrier and the lack of firearm would make me think twice about showing my ass. With that being said do you think I will be ok with experienced driver? BTW I am 6'4" 235 lbs. No match for a gun though.

Mykal

Mykal,

I was quite suprised with the level of English compared to thai girls, at least that's the experience I had at Martini's or Sharkeys.

Getting the right driver you can trust is the hardest part of the trip, someone who hasn't got his hand in your pocket for every little thing and isn't getting kickbacks from the places he takes you.

I think if you hit Bangkok and it's your 1st time you might never want to leave it, PP could turn out to be a disappoinment in comparison even though it is an experience.

Good luck, tough choice.

a lintel is the cross bar at the top of the two side posts of a door. an apsara is a statue of a topless dancing girl.

anyone wanting phnom penh, km 11 info, and english/vietnamese translations can email <cambofan@hotmail.com>.

Archived