Office XP

I am sure that Office XP has a lot of useful new features, is more stable than its predecessors, etc. But the most signifigant aspect of XP is how it leads into the .NET concept that Microsoft is trying to promote. Rather than purchase a new version of Office every 2 or 3 years, MS wants to get users to 'rent' their software. This guarantees them a steady revenue stream - more reliable than hoping that users will (legally) upgrade their software.

JG

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TEDBKK: I agree with you wholeheartedly. Having said that, it's still a fascinating place to work!

By the way, I'm not in one of the product groups, I'm in CDDG. smile.gif" border="0

Zwoel

Zwoel,

Excuse my ignorance, what is CDDG?

Went to the launch on Thursday. Very cool product. Really liked the smart tabs. I'm going to have to get a copy of the standard edition.

I'm running Win XP beta 2 on my lap top, so far so good, except:

The known incompatibility w/ Norton AV

The "helpful" dialog bubbles that pop up all the time, kind of like clippy w/ Office.

Any idea how to turn these dialog bubbles off?

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

Maybe you Microsoft-wallas can explain why Microsoft wants to charge more for their products in Thailand than they do in the US. (If it weren't for the pirates, very few folks could buy them here.)

No, we can't -- it's quite mysterious, actually. See my previous post.

I think everyone has a choice as to which O/S they want to run or what software they want to use.

If you want a free O/S run Linux. If you want free word processors run freeware.

If you want good quality stuff pay the freight.

If you use pirated software and your system crashes, it's your choice.

Frankly I'd rather see Gates be the wealthiest guy on the planet, than some oil sheik who just happens to live somewhere with oil in the ground.

I'm not being forced to say this by Microsoft either. I can even admit that the windows 9x family is far more unstable than many other O/Ss.....

...OWE!!!....my keyboard just shocked me!

And just because Microsoft tried to tag people by the hardware ID on their CPUs doesn't mean they're totally bad...

...Ouch... Damn that smarts!!

Wait, I think Bill Gates maybe the anti-................

....No, I'm OK now. Bill Gates is a good man. Microsoft is OK. I am happy typing on my keyboard. laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Zwoel69

Windows XP, however, will be a different kettle of fish. It knows when it's been copied.

What do you mean exactly? Will you still be able to install a copied version on your PC?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. If you burn a straight copy of Office XP it will not work. If you copy all the files off the CD, zip them up, and create a data CD of the zip file, then there is no problem reversing the process and making a successful installation on another computer.

Of course, I am not speaking from personal experience. smile.gif" border="0

Unfortunately, there is no honor amoung theives at Pantip Plaza. I have seen them sell straight copies of protected software that were absolutely unusable. So, it would be interesting to find if someone has bought a working copy there.

I think there is also something called program activation that detects the hardware config of the machine the s/w is installed in.

If that changes it requests licence validation again before program use.

I guess this could be tied in with online registration/database of PC config linked to reg code etc.

Archived