Help! Beginner wants to buy first ever mobile phone!

JCK

Yes, I have to admit never ever owning a mobile phone in all my 30+ years. I have tried to buy one but have been so inundated with numbers and data from salespeople that I chicken out!

I just want a run-of-the-mill phone for local calls in BKK. I don't need many features. I have absolutely no idea what GSM or 1 to 1 etc is.......

Please can I have advice on a cheap(ish) but reliable phone and where to buy one?

Thanks very much.

Bangkok Luddite

I'll confess to being luddite as well, but am thinking to take the plunge soon.

If I might piggyback on JCK's post, does anyone have suggestions for buying phone that works on both US system and GSM (whatever that is)? Or is it better to simply buy separate phones for when in US and abroad?

I've been shown phones with an interchangable chip in them. You simply change the chip when you get to LOS, and back when you return to wherever. I think the chips are sold there, perhapes on a prepaid basis, but not really sure, let me know as I am interested also!

I suppose a trip to your local cell phone store (maybe a big one like ATT or sprint) might get you some answers, and maybe some product!

I seem to remember some cell phones at a starting price of 3,000bht with some sort of prepaid plan. In the MBK, there are lots of "stalls" selling them. I was just trying to get away cheap, buying one phone and changing chips, but the more I think about it, I guess I should just get another phone there. It is almost cost effective, last time I ran up a 1500bht phone bill in the hotel alone...

For $150, the company I ordered phone from (USTronics) offered a chip that would be one number for use around the world. I passed on this and will try local chips in the different countries.

As I admitted in earlier post, I'm pretty dumb about tech stuff and this will be my first mobile phone. We'll see how it works out. cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Big Kev:

I'll confess to being luddite as well, but am thinking to take the plunge soon.

If I might piggyback on JCK's post, does anyone have suggestions for buying phone that works on both US system and GSM (whatever that is)? Or is it better to simply buy separate phones for when in US and abroad?

A phone that works in Thailand and in the USA would be a tri-band GSM phone. The question however is, is there a 1900mhz GSM network were you live in the US? I originally baught a tri-band motorola for just that reason. I knew that Pac-Bell had a GSM network were I was going. However the cost of setting up an account with my Indonesian phone exceeded the cost of a Pac-Bell issued Nokia 5110 and a pre-paid plan. In short the answer is that it is possible, but it depends on were you live and it may not be the cheaper than buyingf two phones.

Re the Motorola Tri-band.

Contact Kochaibkk, he can't wait to get rid of his tr-band and buy a local Nokia.

Look for a liteweight Nokia 3310 or a discontinued 3210. You won't regret it.

Try MBK and shop around, good deals everywhere.

One-2-call.com seems to have the best coverage (pre-paid cards)

Archived