Football Factory

Old Hippie

There's another one called Green Street - about a group of West Ham Fans starring Frodo Bagginses himself. Yes, Elijah Wood running with the ICF! Right load of old soapy tit wank it is too. However if you're in the mood to spend an hour or two watching mindless thuggery you should check it out. Unless of course there's some WWF on the box. :cool:

I have Green STreet Hooligans on DVD, never watched it. To me, it all seems like Gang warfare of sorts. In the USA, when a team wins, there is a parade in that city, and the fans riot and burn /loot their own neighborhoods...equally as dumb I admit.

Its like a religion here....these guys have it in their blood. I think it could even be down to the fact there is literally f*ck all else for 'young lads' to do in this country except drink and follow football. I know that is a bit of a generalisation but its not too far off the truth.

Thing is, there's next to nothing in the way of violence that takes place in or around the grounds, so the incidence of innocent spectators getting caught up in violence is very rare now. Most inter-club battles take place well away from CCTV cameras and are arranged via mobiles or the internet so that those with an interest in 'defending the honour of their club', or just fighting, have an outlet for it. It's all quite civilised really, with rules regarding weaponry and suchlike agreed before the battle.

There was a classic between Sunderland and Newcastle thugs a few years ago which was arranged to take place on the North of the Tyne, with the away fans crossing over on the ferry to battle it out on the quayside. I seem to recall stories of the real diehards continuing their battle on the ferry itself so that they couldn't be interrupted by the police who had to wait for them at the ferry landing:

"police waiting at South Shields to arrest them described the battered thugs as "looking like the survivors of Rorke's Drift" - but none of them complained."

Archived