Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frogpatrol

Plaza Massage Complex Fire 6/29/01

Recommended Posts

I was on my way to Cupidy (a part of the Plaza Massage Entertainment Complex in Makhasan) yesterday, only to find out that the place had been ablaze a few hours earlier.

Upon checking today's Bangkok Post, it appears that there was an electrical problem up on one of the VIP floors. A fire got going, and all of the water for the sprinklers was diverted to use for the jacuzzis. So, the fire raged away. One Japanese tourist was trapped on the 9th floor, and was subsequently rescued.

So, best to avoid Plaza for the time being - if/when they reopen, I will try to repost with that info.

frogpatrol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Yep, passed it going home from work. I think the fire started around 3-4pm.

Regarding the tourist, I noticed the fire department using what seemed like a blowtorch on one of the windows. I assume this was the rescue attempt.

Did it say if anybody got hurt?

Sanuk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the article from the June 30th Post.

froggo

-Massage parlour destroyed-

Massage clients, masseuses and maids ran for their lives yesterday when a high-rise massage parlour on Petchaburi road caught fire.

Firefighters use a ladder truck to fight the blaze at Makkasan Plaza. _ BOONNARONG BHUDHIPANYA

Twenty fire engines from six stations rushed to the 19-storey Makkasan Plaza Entertainment Complex when the fire was reported at 3.40pm.

The blaze began on the 16th floor, which includes saunas, a large party area and four VIP massage rooms. Sumet Kaewsai, the building's security chief, said the fire started at an electric switchboard near the sauna room. He said he cut his right wrist when he broke a window to let some of the smoke out.

Firefighters with respiratory gear waded through the smoke to break small windows so their colleagues could aim water hoses at the flames.

Firefighting efforts were made more difficult because the burning floor was carpeted and the water pressure inside the building was too weak.

Sprinklers inside the entertainment complex did not work because water was diverted to jacuzzis on the 16th floor.

It took four hours to control the fire, which damaged four storeys from the 15th to the 18th floors.

Mamoru Sato, a 50-year-old Japanese tourist, was rescued from the ninth floor after being trapped.

There were no casualties because the complex was not usually busy during the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...