Tipping - Hotel Housekeeping

unit731

I never knew there was a 'mini-bar' person.

Does the Nana Hotel have a 'mini-bar' person?

I always thought it was the maids - as there is only water in the fridge at the Nana Hotel.

I guess I don't stay at too many 'fancy' hotels.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to stay in more "budget" oriented places. I usualy leave 20 baht a day for the maid. And it works wonders. They always leave me plenty of towels and change the sheets ect. Just the right thing to do on many levels. Also when I was in laos they woud do my laundry. (on the side) Using the hotel facilities but charging me a bit less than half of what the hotel usualy charges. They would hold it until they saw I was back in my room and the coast was clear. Then they would knock on the door and I would pay them cash on the spot.

Soongmak,

Same here, about 20 baht or so a day. 100 baht seems way too high considering what their daily wages are. But it is up to the person tipping. Sometimes give other things as well that I don't want to carry around when checking out. You know, candies, chocolates that'll just melt in the bag, half a bottle of booze that might leak in the bag, things that you'd just leave I give to my maid if I think she might want them for herself, kids, hubbie. I just have my wife ask the maid if she'd want them. And a good maid usually we'll tip on the way out a bigger tip than the daily usual. We stay at the same place in BKK every time, so we know all the staff. We also bring small presents of certain Thai foods/candies unique to Surin for the husband and wife front desk clerks (extremely inexpensive, but it is the thought that counts), and it has helped us by getting us into a room way earlier than the usual check-in time. Check-in is eight, whereas the VIP bus from Surin arrives at 4 a.m. We rarely have to pay the daily fee for that few hours before check-in (only if the boss is around, and he rarely is at 4:30/5 in the a.m. :) ) and we almost always get the room right away. Always nice to be known and liked by the hotel staff. Has its perks.

Cent

Archived