HELP!! Laptop not booting into windows!!!

ultras67

Hi,

do you have a setup CD for the OS? Not a recovery CD but a normal setup CD. It's Win XP, right? Pro or Home? You have a serial?

If you have a setup CD I suggest you boot from the CD, when it asks about setup or 'repair via recovery console' choose setup, then it should detect the already installed OS and offer to repair it, which you should choose.

Trying to repair the OS does not delete any of your user data on the computer.

Some restrictions: If you have SP2 installed you need to have a setup CD that includes SP2. You can create it yourself via slipstreaming.

You have to reinstall all updates to the OS after you repaired the system. If you have Sp2 installed it's only the updates since SP2.

I don't think that you have a virus or anything like that. I guess you rarely reboot your computer, rather use standby or hibernation. All Windows OS have the tendency to get a little funny when used over long periods without the occasional restart. Specially if one installs/deinstalls various programs.

A repair should get the registry back in shape and your OS acting straight again.

How often should we be turning off, Carlton? Mine usually stays on about 14 hours at a time.

Pity you didn't know as much about women as you do about computers, you could solve ALL our problems. :)

Julian,

I'll try to answer that.

As a general rule, every time you turn off the computer for a longer period (like at night) you should shut down instead of standby or hibernation. That should be sufficient. No problem to have Windows running all day.

Problems mostly occur when one isn't turning off / restarting the computer for weeks. A pattern quite often employed by laptop users.

I think most Windows users had at one time or another a small problem that was gone after a reboot.

And about women. With computers I learn something new almost every day, just comes with exposure. With women it's different. I understand less the more I try. So I gave up. Just enjoy the ride. Made my life easier.

This is especially true for laptops, as static can build up within the capacitors.

Here is one simple fix that MAY help. Remove the battery and power cord. Press and HOLD the power button for at least 1 minute. The reinstall the battery/power, and try to reboot again.

Archived