Still more lucky phrases

luckyfarang

There is a uniquely Thai flavor to a four word phrase where word number two rhymes with word number three. The language is full of these and once you are aware of this, you will begin to hear them all over. The first three on the list are examples of this.

jap(l) dai(f) lai(f) tan**, jap(l) kaa nang® kaa kao® caught in the act**........ caught red handed

rai(h) yaat(f) khaat(l) mit(h)........ no one to turn to**, without a friend in the world

fan® ao tao(f) nan(h)........ itâ??s just a dream*

dtok(l) khao®........ yeast infection**

yaa(l) hai(f) phlaat(f) na(h)........ donâ??t make any mistakes*, donâ??t screw up**

bplaai taang........ end of the road, terminal*, (like terminal cancer) (adj)

ai(f) bawng(f) dteun(f)........ you nitwit, you stupid ass**, you peabrain**

khao® mai(f) ning(f) choei® reuang(f) nee(f) nae(f)........ he wonâ??t take this lying down*

mee reuang(f) kit(h) maak(f)........ got a lot on his mind

bong-gaan geng(l)........ manipulative*

mai(f) mee kun-na(h)-tam loei........ completely immoral

yaa(l) bpawt(l) haek(l) loei........ donâ??t be such a wimp* (chicken shit**)

dtam khaao(f) grawk(l) maw(f)........ to wait until the last minute

dtam nam(h) prik(l) la(h)-laai mae(f)-nam(h)........ ostentatious and extravagant

gert(l) nai dtra(l)-gun yaak(f)-rai(h)........ born into poverty

jat(l) dtang(f)........ to originate*

pit(l) bpen kroo........ learn from oneâ??s mistakes

cheeo(f) chaan........ connoisseur*

pit(l) faa® pit(l) dtua........ to be mismatched

poot(f) sa(l)-nap(l)-sa(l)-nun®........ second the motion**

jop(l) pha(h)-thom®........ 6th grade graduate

jop(l) dton(f)........ 9th grade graduate

jop(l) bplaai........ 12th grade graduate

kop(h) peua(l) leuak(f)........ shotgun approach to relationships**,dating by process of elimination**

mee a(l)-rai gaw(f) khao(f) reuang(f) si(l)........ get to the point**

thook(l) wi(h)-nit(h)-chai® waa(f) bpen........ diagnosed as

rohk(f) phit(h) su(l)-raa, rohk(f) baa(f) su(l)-raa........ alcoholism

peua(f) thai(l) baap(l)........ to redeem oneself**

tam khaw(f) dtok(l)-long......... to make a deal

tan-bon........ parole

gra(l)-buan gaan taang........ process (n)

dek(l) khohng(l)........ big for oneâ??s age**, flunked and held back**, a childish adult**

man gaw(f) ee-rawp(l) derm nan(h) lae(l)........ So what else is new?**, same old same old**

jit(l) jai ray ruan........ flaky**, unreliable

reo khao(f)....... Hurry up!**

dtua ber(f) rer(f)........ huge*

sayp(l) gaam........ make love, indulge in sex

sayp(l) suk(l)........ to enjoy oneself

faa(h) lang® fon®........ the calm after the storm** (lit or fig)

yaa(l) perng(f) duan(l) dtat(l)-sin® jai........ donâ??t rush to judgment, donâ??t make a hasty decision

yak(f) gra(l)-saai®........ change the subject, get around to something

mai(f) yak(h)........ not happen to, notâ?¦..too much, surprisingly, strangely enough

chaang(f) mai(f) aai jai na(h)........ Youâ??ve got some nerve!

tuk(h) kon mee phi(h)-rut(h)........ everyoneâ??s got their quirks**

nai khan(h) tu(h) lao........ in remission*

len(f) ngaan........ give â??em hell**

mae(h) dtae(l) nawy(h)........ in the least**, at all**, not even a little

tao(f) hua® pha-yaa naak(f)......... â?? [improved version of tao(f) hua® ngoo] lecherous old man*

ngut(l) ngit(l) ngun(f) ngaan(f)....... sexually frustrated**, hot and bothered**

phlik(h) lawk(h)........ an upset victory**

jai diao laai® rak(h)........ serial monogamist**

I am especially proud of these last four original translations. I would sure love some feedback on stuff like this that ain't found in no dictionary.

Really interesting stuff...where do you find them all ? Wish I could remember them all so I could slip them into a conversation at the right time...with my memory skills just remembering 1 or 2 will be an achievment...

These days I get a lot from movie subtitles, by freezing the UBC screen when I hear a good line and then reading the Thai subtitle.

Also I get a lot from normal conversation, from the girl of the moment, from dictionaries and books, and recently I got my first one from a Thai newspaper.

Lately I've been concentrating on common Thai expressions, because these are easily understood.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you are correct that poo(f) cheeo chaan means "expert". I have known and used this translation for years, but recently I saw a movie subtitle which translated "connoisseur" as the same word, so I thought that I would include it as an alternative. If you have a better term for connoisseur, I would like to know it.

Yes, you are correct that poo(f) cheeo chaan means "expert". I have known and used this translation for years, but recently I saw a movie subtitle which translated "connoisseur" as the same word, so I thought that I would include it as an alternative. If you have a better term for connoisseur, I would like to know it.

I don't...but I have seen numerous occasions where the subtitler has no idea what the English word means, so they just wing it...confusing "connoisseur" and "expert" is actually not half as bad as some I've seen!

preahko

How about à¸?ัà¸Âà¸Âิà¸? (nak gin)? But of course that only applies to food, and one could be a connoisseur of anything, I suppose.

Myself, I guess I'm a à¸?ัà¸Âà¹?ลà¸?à¸?ูà¹?หà¸Âิà¸?!

Cheers,

SD

Archived