Favourite English word spoken by a Thai

CTO

Once was with a BG in Pattaya. A demure quiet little thing with not much english and we were playing pool away from her bar. Well I was anyway, she was very bad. A couple of times I missed easy shots and said a quick "for fucks sake" out loud to myself. In an effort to get her more interested I offered her 200 baht if she won a game. So she now was at least trying. I "secretly" helped her to a point where we were both on the black ball. I then accidently sunk the black ball and won. A loud angry FUXSAKE eminated from the quiet pretty girl. Two days later I went back to her bar and sat at the bar having a beer. From the back room with the pool table four BGs were playing pool and there was a constant cacophony of FUXSAKE FUXSAKE every time they missed a shot from all of them. Sounded so cute. There's my addition to the Thai language.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like when they use the English loanwords they don't KNOW are English loanwords...

once, a freelancer who is a really good friend of mine, who was talking about buying a house with her farang boyfriend, said (this is all in Thai) that they were considering a "town hout"...

then she paused, and asked me in a kind of condescending but concerned way, "oh, do you know what that means? town hout?" in other words, she knew I spoke a lot of thai, but figured I probably wasn't up to that high of a level when using THAI words to describe various types of living quarters...!

preahko

I remember ages ago a BG asking me if Australia had a king and queen same as LOS.

I tried to explain how it worked - i.e. our queen is the same as England's and her name is Elizabeth etc. etc.

She then gave me a blank look, thought for a few seconds and said:

"Why she not your Queen all the time?"

"What do you mean, teeruk?"

"You say she queen little bit, not all the time!"

"Noooo... not "little bit"... that's her name - ELIZABETH!!"

This made me laugh a lot - so cute! :rotl:

Does that mean if they say "lorry" it'll be "rorry" too? :D

I remember when I was in Songkhla a couple of times I stayed in a hotel called THE ROYAL CROWN.

Which, of course, was referred to by moto guys, staff, bg's etc as "DA LOYAL CLOWN"

:grin:

I like when they use the English loanwords they don't KNOW are English loanwords...

once, a freelancer who is a really good friend of mine, who was talking about buying a house with her farang boyfriend, said (this is all in Thai) that they were considering a "town hout"...

then she paused, and asked me in a kind of condescending but concerned way, "oh, do you know what that means? town hout?" in other words, she knew I spoke a lot of thai, but figured I probably wasn't up to that high of a level when using THAI words to describe various types of living quarters...!

preahko

i would say is more only "Tow How"

and they know that these are english loanwords.

one word - my friend could not understand that i don't understand it. it was "cow dau" me: ????

"cow doa cow dau cow dau" ???

it was "count down" thai for New Year's Eve.

what you do cow dau?

cow dou, "or something like that"

later i came across the town house word "tow how", was easy to understand after the cow dou experience.

when i go at night time to some club or whatever, more then sometimes i get the question " ...(insert club name here) bpen pubb ruu thek" -

is it a Pub or a discotheque? bpen thek.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived