A revisit to Pattay after 12 years

Torneyboy

Did you go into the bar in the D2 that overlooks 2nd road? It looks like it would be a cool place to have some drinks but I never see anybody up there when I pass by.

As far as Pattaya needing a face lift, do you just mean the beach itself? I agree the beach is a shithole but then again, I don't go there for swimming.

There are numerous places like D2 all over town. Plenty of new modern hotels, shopping malls, discos,good restaurants, etc. Beach Road in the daytime looks far cleaner than Lower Suk with all the trees, plants and flowers. The air is without question much better.

I'm not in the BKK-Pattaya Sucks or Rules camp but having split my time just about evenly between the two, lower Suk is a pretty grimy place to be (and I love it).

I like many others don't notice any considerable difference between the tourists/punters in BKK in the places I frequent but I guess I might if I went looking in some of the beer bars at Happy Hour.

Love it or Hate it, fine with me. I just find it laughable when people make BKK to be Singapore on the Suk.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I honestly don't see much difference in the "quality" of pattaya tourists from the bkk tourists or sexpats."

Why would you even think that they're distinct groups? The vast majority just travel back and forth between the two places. Yeah, a tiny percentage stay in one place, but most don't...Its the same group.

"I honestly don't see much difference in the "quality" of pattaya tourists from the bkk tourists or sexpats."

Why would you even think that they're distinct groups? The vast majority just travel back and forth between the two places. Yeah, a tiny percentage stay in one place, but most don't...Its the same group.

Professor koow, you could have 100% of people "travel back and forth" between both places and still have very different groups.

OK, start with the "100% of sex tourists travel back and forth frequently" assumption.

Now spend some more time thinking, and bring in time dimensions, such as observations over a year

in both places, to measure the average group properties in the 2 places.

p.s. Of course, 100% is just using your example...

In reality, its less.

Professor koow, please learn the difference between a factual assumption and a hypothetical. I was providing a hypothetical to show you it was wrong to assume both groups are the same because the "vast majority travel back and forth" and "only a tiny percentage stay in one place." Apparently, in your mind, this is enough to ask (snidely, it seemed to me), "Why would you even think they are distinct groups?"

Let me spell it out for you. Say everyone takes annual 2 week trips. All black people start in Pattaya and take a 4 day trip to bkk in their holiday. All white people start in bkk and take a 4 day trip to pattaya. What does the average bar clientele in pattaya look like? How does this change if I tell you white tourists outnumber black tourists 100 to 1? You get it now, dr. koow or do you need another hypothetical?

Your just trying to back of what you said previously, and you can't address the response I gave you. I have no idea what a "factual assumption" is supposed to be, and who supposedly had one. Your latest response is just trivia, that ignores the time dimension of observation (i.e., observations over a period of time).

Now that you've taught us a few days ago about interpolation (and again, I'm just very impressed by your eagerness to do a curve fitting exercise ON THREE DATA POINTS, all of which are very crude measures to begin with), can you tell me about EXTRAPOLATION? Curve fitting on 3 data points is a very good idea...most mathematicians would just love the results.

Dr. Koow, of course you're joking as a vast intellect such as yourself would see my scenario yields different 'average group properties' regardless of time period of observation. It would be obvious to you that lengthening the observation time would only cause the differences to cease being average ones and become actual ones(i.e. the limit as t goes to infinity). What causes the difference is how distinct groups choose to split their time between the two locations.

Also, I didn't interpolate using three data points. I made an inference about what any interpolation would yield using two data points and two conditions (average value and monotonicity). And the actual data it seems is consistent with my inference. Many interpolation techniques are "piecewise" and are based on using two data points at a time. But of course, you knew that as math seems to be your strong suit.

Dr. koow, please note I've taken your earlier lesson to heart and refrained from pointing out that 'its' isn't a contraction for 'it is'. I'd also like to point out 'your' is not the contraction for 'you are'. This is not because I'm desperate for a comeback but because I sincerely would like to see your language skills approach your impressive math skills.

In eternal admiration,

HT.

What a bunch of rubbish, and totally irrelvant.

Anyway, to the person who earlier said he doesn't see much difference....etc. etc between Patt. and BK. sex tourists: Although most of the sex tourists do bo back and forth, I'm sure there's a higher percentage of "scum" (which everyone can define for themselves) in Patt. compared with Bkk

at any given time, within the nightlife areas of both places. Obviously, Pattaya attracts more of the low-life sex tourists (who have few interests outside of sitting in a beer bar all day), and they stay there longer than they do in bkk. So, as far as "observing" them, it's just a mtter of where you look and how often you take a "census" there.

Dr. Koow. Does a one sentence post really require an edit? And how is it you edit and still misspell "irrelevant"? Heeheehee.

Ok, I do see where I made a mistake. I assumed you knew the proper way to sample to answer a question like "is the typical pattaya tourist different than a bkk tourist?" If I assume you don't, your line of thinking makes a lot more sense.

If I ask you what is the net worth of a typical first class flyer, you don't take everyone who's ever flown first class over x time period and average. You'd sample multiple times over x time period.

Archived